P-trap Options Here?

Users who are viewing this thread

benjammins

Reaction score
Hello all,

A bit new to the DIY world, but I have a question on my viable options for completing this plumbing option. The cabinet in the sink I purchased is higher than I thought. Being so, I can't install a p-trap in the usual way. My drain in the wall is too close to the height of the cabinet for clearance. So I was thinking, if I could put two elbows to from the wall drain, effectively raising the drain up about 2 inches, then I could have the clearance for my p-trap. Physically speaking, I don't see this as an issue since there will still be a net downward direction in flow, however I'm not sure if this would somehow create problems or in the worse case, illegal. Thank you very much for any insight you can share.

photo.jpg

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nope you can't do that by code. The options are cutting into the wall and raising the drain connection or cutting the bottom of the cabinet to accommodate a p-trap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

Unless you are moving the cabinet you also have the problem of offsetting the drain to the sink's location. Usually the easiest way is to cut a oval opening in the floor for the trap to hang through.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks