P-Trap Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

vlee99

Reaction score
New here, and a non-plumber.

I replaced the drain in a pedestal sink. Used the original p-trap. The p-trap didn't leak before, but now does.
I tried to replace the nut portion with a new one, but the new threads do not match the original glued portion.
Put more teflon tape, and tighten it pretty tight still water drips. Will plumber's putty work?
If the only option is to replace the glued portion, how do you remove it?
Help! Thanks!

Attachments

• P4080565a..jpg
    P4080565a..jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 21,717
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For starters, remove the tape and the putty.

The swivel gets tightened first, and then the other nuts.

But really, anytime you replace a sink basin, you are better off buying a new p-trap with new trap adapter, and installing them where they should be.
I would normally pick up a PVC p-trap with ABS trap adapter.
Maker sure on the new p-trap, that you cut it to the proper length.
I cut the trap arm flush with the wallboard.
You don't want it going so far in that it blocks flow at the fitting inside the wall.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Everything in the picture except your union nut is glued. The teflon tape won't help. Here is something that probably will help:

On the end of the wall piece is more or less a "pointy" part; inside the U-bend, where the nut is, is a groove that the "pointy" part goes into. That is supposed to me a metal-to-metal ( all plastic in this case) seal. To help it out, fill the groove with some putty...not too much, because you do not want to gunk up the threads. If this doesn't work, there may be a hairline crack or other defect, and you will have to cut the trap out and get a new one.

Terry's advice is much more correct, but I sometimes like to offer something to bail out a homeowner on Saturday morning! A little putty may just do the tricks and get you out on to the links with Tiger today!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your problem is more common than you think. That type of trap often has leak problem after it is taken apart. That is one reason why I NEVER install a sink using that type of trap. Cut it off and use a tubular trap and slip joint trap adapter, (the trap often has one with it).

vlee99

Reaction score
Cleaned everything off, and tried it again and it still leaks.
Plumbers putty got messy, so I tried wrapping teflon tape around the "pointy part" only. So far. no leaks.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Philodog

Reaction score
I have had this problem several times with new ABS p traps. I tried tape on the threads, pipe dope, severe tightening and what finally worked was Teflon tape not on the threads but on the cone shaped part that fits in the groove. That is where the sealing occurs, not at the threads. What a relief when it finally stopped leaking.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That type of p-trap is not meant to be used with plumbers putty or Teflon. If you got it to seal, it was just luck.
Nothing should be on the threades.
The swivel is a cone that fits into a dish. If that is the first joint tighented, then the cone can pull into the dish.
If the other sides are done first, it can pull the cone off center.

Or like hj mentions, next time cut out the ABS trap and go tubular. They come in chromed brass or PVC. And again, not tape, no putty, and the swivel gets snugged up first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks