P trap install on Garage sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Peter Ratzlaff

Reaction score
I am putting a sink in my garage and would like to leave as much clearance possible under the sink, less likely to get bumped in to. My question is can I install the trap close to the bottom of the sink and then continue on to the drain.

Pic 1 is a mock up of what I would like to do. Any issues with this design. Pic 2 is a better angle, I couldn't hold the pieces and take a pic.

Pic 3 mock up, less desirable option. About 5 ' from floor to trap , about 20 " from the bottom of the sink to the trap.

Thank you for any advise on how to set-up correctly.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 193
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 177

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
PIC's 1 & 2 are S traps, not allowed. PIC 3 is OK if the tail piece is no more than 24". I would use slip joint P trap, not glued. Should it get bumped and breaks it'd be alot easier to replace.

Last edited:

Peter Ratzlaff

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback, I was wondering if that was an S trap. Would this be a viable option?

I was using the glue P trap to have a drain/clean out. I haven't seen a slip joint with that available. Do you know if they make one? Again thank you for your guidance.

Attachments

• 20190728_134453.jpg
    20190728_134453.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 231

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Slip joints just screw apart. No need for clean out at the trap.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Insert "forehead slap here" if you REALLY want to take the drain apart to snake it. I try NEVER to do that, but rather use a cleanout in the riser so I can run water in the sink while snaking the line. Construction plumbers who have NEVER had to snake a line do not know where cleanouts are most convenient. Besides, that "Y" with a plug IS a cleanout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks