P trap in laundry room floor drain connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Toothdriller

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to lay out a floor drain in the laundry room.

Would the lay out in the first picture work? it would connect to the wet drain after the laundry. If this can be done, what fitting would be used to connect the floor drain p trap to horizonal drain and at what angle.

I am thinking layout 2 is the correct way but would layout 1 work?

I also attached a 3rd picture which the adjacent bathroom with vent connects if that makes a different

Any help or suggestion would be gladly appreciated. Thanks!

.. this under concrete slab

Attachments

• laundry.jpg
    laundry.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 165
  • laundry2.jpg
    laundry2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 159
  • laundry and adjacent bathroom.jpg
    laundry and adjacent bathroom.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like Pheonix is under the IPC. In which case either layout would be OK, with all the drains sized at 2".

Layout 1 would be a "combination waste and vent system," IPC section 915. I'm not so familiar with that section, but just the pipe from the floor drain p-trap to the wye is the combination waste and vent. 2" is sufficient, as a floor drain is 2 DFUs.

https://up.codes/viewer/colorado/ipc-2018/chapter/9/vents#915

Layout 2 would be a "common vent connected at different levels," IPC section 911.3. 2" is sufficient as the upper fixture, the laundry standpipe, is 3 DFUs.

https://up.codes/viewer/colorado/ipc-2018/chapter/9/vents#911.3

Cheers, Wayne

Toothdriller

Reaction score
Looks like Pheonix is under the IPC. In which case either layout would be OK, with all the drains sized at 2".

Layout 1 would be a "combination waste and vent system," IPC section 915. I'm not so familiar with that section, but just the pipe from the floor drain p-trap to the wye is the combination waste and vent. 2" is sufficient, as a floor drain is 2 DFUs.

https://up.codes/viewer/colorado/ipc-2018/chapter/9/vents#915

Layout 2 would be a "common vent connected at different levels," IPC section 911.3. 2" is sufficient as the upper fixture, the laundry standpipe, is 3 DFUs.

https://up.codes/viewer/colorado/ipc-2018/chapter/9/vents#911.3

Cheers, Wayne

I was under the impression a p trap always has to eye or see a vent and so essentially connect with a sanitary t. So a WYE laying flat on the horizontal will work?

also, In picture 3 for the adjacent bathroom, will that work based on

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was under the impression a p trap always has to eye or see a vent and so essentially connect with a sanitary t. So a WYE laying flat on the horizontal will work?
Conventional dry vents are often connected via a sanitary tee, which is convenient when you want to simultaneously turn the drain down while taking off the vent. They can also be connected with a vertical combo, when you want the drain to stay horizontal while you take off the vent.

Horizontal wet venting and this combination waste and vent system do allow venting via a horizontal wye. They have sizing rules to ensure that the horizontal pipe should not fill up up with water, so the top of the pipe provides a pathway for the requisite vent air.

Cheers, Wayne

Toothdriller

Reaction score
Conventional dry vents are often connected via a sanitary tee, which is convenient when you want to simultaneously turn the drain down while taking off the vent. They can also be connected with a vertical combo, when you want the drain to stay horizontal while you take off the vent.

Horizontal wet venting and this combination waste and vent system do allow venting via a horizontal wye. They have sizing rules to ensure that the horizontal pipe should not fill up up with water, so the top of the pipe provides a pathway for the requisite vent air.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks for the help so far Wayne!

So for instance, I can have wet vents with WYE for the bath, toilet, and sink as shown? Assuming 3" wc, 2" tub, 2" sink, and 3" horizontal ? Assuming IPC codes. Will this work?

Attachments

• 11712.jpg
    11712.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 151

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not quite. Two issues:

(1) In a horizontal wet vent, any horizontal pipe that is a vent has to be wet, not dry. That mean that some fixture washes through it. Otherwise, at the wet/dry junction on that vent, solids could back up occasionally, and with nothing to wash them down, they could accumulate. So the red segment between the toilet wye and the blue vent is not a compliant way to attach the vent connection to the horizontal wet vent.

(2) The lavatory p-trap is much higher than the tub p-trap or the toilet outlet. And the lavatory drain need to be vented before the drain turns downward, the vent under the floor is too low. So you need to provide a regular dry vent for the lavatory, typically with a san-tee. And once you do that, the lav dry vent can serve to wet vent the toilet and bathtub.

Under the IPC, you can use 1-1/2" for everything except the toilet drain (and drains combined with the toilet drain).

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far Wayne!

So for instance, I can have wet vents with WYE for the bath, toilet, and sink as shown? Assuming 3" wc, 2" tub, 2" sink, and 3" horizontal ? Assuming IPC codes. Will this work?[/QUOte
sorry duplicate posting feel like an idiot website said there was an error and then went and repeated my posts sorry all

Last edited:

Toothdriller

Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne

Toothdriller

Reaction score
So something like this? Where the toilet goes to vertical dry vent. Then long 90 to horizontal? The sink would have its own dry vent but still drain to horizontal.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Plumm.jpg
    Plumm.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 145

Toothdriller

Reaction score
Not quite. Two issues:

(1) In a horizontal wet vent, any horizontal pipe that is a vent has to be wet, not dry. That mean that some fixture washes through it. Otherwise, at the wet/dry junction on that vent, solids could back up occasionally, and with nothing to wash them down, they could accumulate. So the red segment between the toilet wye and the blue vent is not a compliant way to attach the vent connection to the horizontal wet vent.

(2) The lavatory p-trap is much higher than the tub p-trap or the toilet outlet. And the lavatory drain need to be vented before the drain turns downward, the vent under the floor is too low. So you need to provide a regular dry vent for the lavatory, typically with a san-tee. And once you do that, the lav dry vent can serve to wet vent the toilet and bathtub.

Under the IPC, you can use 1-1/2" for everything except the toilet drain (and drains combined with the toilet drain).

Cheers, Wayne

So something like this? Where the toilet goes to vertical dry vent. Then long 90 to horizontal? The sink would have its own dry vent but still drain to horizontal.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Plumm.jpg
    Plumm.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 145

Reach4

Reaction score
Flow toward bottom of the picture, right? How about this?

Attachments

• img_3.jpg
    img_3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 145

Toothdriller

Reaction score
Yeah. Flow is going down stream. I have the existing vent on the back wall that goes straight up to roof. That is why I'm trying to tie it in. Anyway yo tie that in and make it still work?

Toothdriller

Reaction score

I have existing vents to ceiling as shown. One is the sink which goes to a san t to roof. The other I'm trying to figure out how to tie in the system.

Attachments

• 20201202_200955.jpg
    20201202_200955.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 153
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks