P-Trap help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Scotsman

Reaction score
Went to replace my garbage disposal, easy job right? Nope, the nut in the middle of my p-trap broke off and I thought I could just buy a new one to fix but nope! How do fix this?

EC81D2B9-B939-4D84-AF9B-8F9F38CB0EA3.jpeg

56D0C3F5-11A6-4B8C-B8F5-39791C179656.jpeg

47E25442-EB94-4404-8665-9ABA1DAEAB95.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
1. What is the OD of that end with the broken off piece. If it is 1.50 inches, you might be able to grab that with some slip joint piece.

2. You could ream out the side socket of the trap adapter with a Rambit or Socket Saver. Alternatively, use a Pipe Parana to undo that bend from the pipe glued into that santee. Glue something else there. A trap adapter at the santee would be best if that lets other things come together. Otherwise, I guess some bend that lets you glue on a trap adapter at a better angle.

That will look better if you remove the duct tape. Even a nylon tie would look better. It still won't look good IMO.

Last edited:

Scotsman

Reaction score
1. What is the OD of that end with the broken off piece. If it is 1.50 inches, you might be able to grab that with some slip joint piece.

2. You could ream out the side socket of the trap adapter with a Rambit or Socket Saver. Alternatively, use a Pipe Parana to undo that bend from the pipe glued into that santee. Glue something else there. A trap adapter at the santee would be best if that lets other things come together. Otherwise, I guess some bend that lets you glue on a trap adapter at a better angle.

That will look better if you remove the duct tape. Even a nylon tie would look better. It still won't look good IMO.
Yes I’m not sure how this passed inspection when built. Is there a split nut that I can use? I see there are some for spas.

7C5C0A0C-8C5B-41D2-A666-14ED40106DA8.jpeg

821085F2-11EC-4FF5-BEAB-DE992B6D4F5F.jpeg

Scotsman

Reaction score
No offense but dear God what the hell am I looking at? I think the first thing I would do would involve a sawzall and start over.
That’s how this was built? Starting over sounds good, but where would you even start?

Reach4

Reaction score
1.5 inch schedule 40 pvc is 1.9 inch od.

Maybe you could glue something on there.

I am thinking I might cut the drain line, and attach an assembly with an AAV for venting. Then cap the vent line.

But to keep the current island vent system, maybe cut the two pipes, where there is some available length of pipe (red marks for example), and use shielded couplers to attach a new island vent assembly. I am not a pro. If I were practiced at getting glued stuff right the first time, I could glue on the new assembly with glued couplers.

Attachments

• img_6.jpg
    img_6.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Scotsman

Reaction score
Starting to sound like this is out of my level of expertise so have a plumber coming tomorrow. So much for a small job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks