P-trap Away From Sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

C317414

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to get some additional height in a kitchen counter by moving the trap out from under the sink, and up against the back wall of the cabinet. My idea is to come off the bottom of the sink with T for the garbage disposal, then a 90 or 45 degree elbow, and run a pipe to the trap. The distance will be 8-10 inches.

Is it OK to do this?

Thanks

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The output of the U of the p-trap must stay horizontal until vented. As long as you are not raising the trap, you are likely good.

Maybe post a sketch. To attach that to a post it must be 800 pixels max and 200 KB max.

C317414

Reaction score
Here's a poorly done sketch, looking down at the sink. The sink has 2 basins, the left is larger than the right. The P-trap is oriented horizontally at the back of the cabinet. The garbage disposal connects to the drain right below the right sink basin with a garbage disposal T. Below this T is a 90 elbow oriented toward the P-Trap. In essence, what I've done is moved the P-Trap from under the right sink basin to the back wall of the sink cabinet, and I've rotated the P-trap 90 degrees. I'm not raising the trap, and the connection pipes will slope slightly toward the trap.

Sink Drains.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While it will work, it might pose some smell issues. Horizontal sections of pipe can accumulate some crud on the bottom of it. When the trap is beneath the sink's output, the pipe tends to scour the line, so there's not much to smell, and the trap itself prevents anything from getting through from beneath it.

As long as the line has slope, it should drain, but you don't want water to be standing in the horizontal line, either.

C317414

Reaction score
While it will work, it might pose some smell issues. Horizontal sections of pipe can accumulate some crud on the bottom of it. When the trap is beneath the sink's output, the pipe tends to scour the line, so there's not much to smell, and the trap itself prevents anything from getting through from beneath it.

As long as the line has slope, it should drain, but you don't want water to be standing in the horizontal line, either.
I have no doubt it will work, but had not considered smell issues; thanks.

My question is whether this is OK from a code perspective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks