P-trap Arm Vertical Drop

Users who are viewing this thread

Allison

Reaction score
Would the below set up pass UPC as long as the trap weir is less than 1.25" above the connection on the double fixture fitting? I only see 1002.4 requiring that the trap weir be above the vent pipe opening. All pipes and fittings are 2".
upload_2020-2-17_10-57-8.png

Background: I am currently working on plumbing back to back bathrooms with majority of drains running in the basement. I've run into an issue where one shower P-trap will end up lower than the joists based on the height the double fixture fitting has to be at in order for the other (further away) shower P-trap arm to be at a 1/4"/foot slope. The current slope is too steep from the second P-trap to the double fixture fitting if the P-trap is within the joists.

Thank you!
Allison

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you're mixed up.

The vent pipe opening from a soil or waste pipe, except for water closest, shall NOT be below the weir of the trap.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you're mixed up.

The vent pipe opening from a soil or waste pipe, except for water closest, shall NOT be below the weir of the trap.

You could be right. I just know that fixture drains on a common vent can be stacked as long as the top fitting is sized as a vertical wet vent. Not sure if it's the solution for his situation.

Last edited:

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could be right. I just know that fixture drains on a common vent can be stacked as long as the top fitting is sized as a vertical wet vent. Not sure if it's the solution for his situation.

Agreed. My post was directed at Allison.

Allison

Reaction score
Oh you are right sorry I mis-quoted the code, assuming that the vent pipe is opening is above the trap weir would this set up pass UPC? I don't think I can get stacked san-tees to work without running into a similar issue.

Allison

Reaction score
I've realized through this question that I think my current set up has the trap weir above the vent opening due to the double fixture fitting, I am going to use to separate san-tees tying in to the horizontal line with separate wye+45s which will solve both of these issues. Thank you for your replies!

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've realized through this question that I think my current set up has the trap weir above the vent opening due to the double fixture fitting, I am going to use to separate san-tees tying in to the horizontal line with separate wye+45s which will solve both of these issues. Thank you for your replies!
Your current setup is a semi s-trap and that is illegal. Do not use a wye+1/8 bend on a vertical drain, that is also illegal. Use santee's.

Last edited:

Allison

Reaction score
Just for clarification is it ok to use wye+1/8(double fixture fitting) vertically for back to back toilets? And back to back sinks? I see this image on here a lot for double sinks.
double_lav_rough_2.jpg
Thank you again!

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just for clarification is it ok to use wye+1/8(double fixture fitting) vertically for back to back toilets? And back to back sinks? I see this image on here a lot for double sinks.
double_lav_rough_2.jpg
Thank you again!
Yes. A double fixture fitting is meant to be installed vertically for back to back lavs not toilets. But a wye and 1/8 bend going from horizontal to vertical for a lav is illegal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks