P-trap arm soldered to drain stubout

Users who are viewing this thread

Tangent

Reaction score
This p-trap arm is damaged on the portion that holds the washer. Since the other end is soldered to the drain stubout, I decided to hacksaw off the damaged portion, circled in green in photo 2. It seemed to work fine for a while, but eventually water would seep out from above the new washer. I tried plastic and rubber washers.

Another option is to saw the pipe so that only 2” protrudes from the wall, and use a PVC reducing coupling to attach a new arm. The original pipe is 1.5”, but I could go down to 1.25” for the new one. The reducing couplings are about 2.5” long so there is little room, and I could slide the smaller pipe into the existing larger one.

The ultimate option is to get a friend to de-solder the existing pipe. But, I don’t want the new arm soldered, I want a compression connection at the wall. Since the drain pipe has an inside diameter of 1.63”, I assume a connector for a 1.25” p-trap should work. Yet, I haven’t been able to find the right fitting at the usual stores online.

Any other suggestions?

p-trap1.jpg
p-trap2.jpg
p-trap3.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The easy fix would be a new p-trap with a rubber coupling there.
The scary one is soldering an adapter onto the copper pipe back in the wall. A flame in a wall that has been dry for decades can light right up.

Tangent

Reaction score
It's called a Marvel adapter ring but the rubber couplings last forever on a lavatory. Don't burn the house down.

I'll try the rubber coupling. Should I stick with the 1.5" or 1.25" diameter, or does it really not matter?

The plumber who installed this 50 years ago already scorched the wall!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'll try the rubber coupling. Should I stick with the 1.5" or 1.25" diameter, or does it really not matter?
For a lav, 1.25" or 1.5"
The tailpiece will be 1.25"
If it's new construction, it's 1.5" at the wall, so I pretty much just carry 1.5's with the reducing slip joint washer for doing lavs.
For older stuff I always need to have a 1.25" on hand though. Old being 60's and before.

Tangent

Reaction score
For a lav, 1.25" or 1.5"

I see there are some Milwaukee P-Traps out there, where the arm from the wall connects to the p-trap via a slip joint. So, possibly no PVC coupling if the pipe in the wall is cut correctly?

I could never find out why there are LA style and Milwaukee style p-traps.

milwaukee-p-trap.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
This info may be wrong. It is based on observation, and I invite correction.

I think NY style p-traps have no swivel and no slip joint downstream of the trap.

I think LA style has a swivel, but no slip joint downstream of the trap. So that would be threaded or solder or glued.

Milwaukee style term was new to me, but seems to have a swivel and a built-in trap arm but no slip joint downstream of the trap. That is the one I feel least confident about.

Tangent

Reaction score
but no slip joint downstream of the trap

For the Milwaukee, I believe the arm will have male threads on the wall side, below the ground joint. The Jones Stephens (P38129) online catalog doesn't show it, but a photo I saw of a similar trap had the exploded view.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks