P trap angle question

Users who are viewing this thread

hkcsar

Reaction score
Im about to install a new bath on slab. My question is should I run a the p trap out pipe at a 45 degree or go straight out and 90 degree down into the main sewer line. If 45 degree is acceptable how long does the pipe need to be between the p trap out and where it begins the drop to the main?

plumbing.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your vent must come off the trap arm before it goes down or you've created an s-trap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can do either one AS LONG as you have a vent between the trap and the fitting. In most cases, you could not connect to the main line without a vent anyway.

hkcsar

Reaction score
The distance between trap in and main line is 16" on a 45 deg to join the branch main. the main line is is acually a 12' branch off the main to the city. There are 2 vents on the branch main 3", one 1' upstream from the WC, and one 20" foot upstream from the shower also has a clean out. Are you saying I need to T off the p trap out and tie into the vents off the 12' branch main.

layout w text.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Every trap needs a vent (with few exceptions), and the trap arm can't slope more than the nominal amount, so yes, you need to vent this line, just like you would for the other traps in the house. You can't angle it down with fittings until it is vented. once vented, you can drop it as much as you want.

hkcsar

Reaction score
Thanks alot-it make since and I thought this was the case, Can I just elbow up 2" to the bottom of the concrete and make it a vent run to the main up vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks