Oversized gas exhaust flue for boiler and water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Magicalpig

Reaction score
I'm looking for some opinions concerning size requirements of a flue service an atmospherically vented water heater and a fan-assisted boiler. I tried to have the flue certified while applying for a permit to replace my water heater and the chimney company would not give me the certification. They say that the IFGC charts indicate my flue is oversized for the BTUs going through it. I'll just assume that's true for the purpose of posting this question.

I contacted the company that installed the flue liner and they never heard of failing a chimney inspection in a residential application for the reason that the flue was oversized. I'm wondering if the company I hired for the certification was trying to get me to pay them to install a new flue liner. Further, if an oversized flue is really an issue in residential settings, why is it that the code does not take into account the fact that during the warmer months of the year only the water heater will be used. That effectively sets up an orphaned appliance situation during those times.

What do you all think?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I don't think connecting them to the same chimney could be "done to code", because the power vent COULD overpower/backdraft into the atmostpheric vented one and cause CO in the building. Power vents almost always have to be individually vented to the exterior.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks