Overshimmed Toilet Install

Users who are viewing this thread

JayPlumb

Reaction score
I will be fixing this but curious if should be okay for time being. It hasn't leaked yet so thinking I'm fine but want to be sure.

I used sani seal and flange was above floor. So I had a lot of space to compress. The one side I should a but high although it is not rocking at all.

I will be reinstalling after painting in next couple weeks but needed toilet in now due to cracked tank on other one.

Anything to be concerned about or can I wait to reinstall in a few weeks?

I'll get it right next time! I was too focused on left/right straightness and making sure. It didn't rock. I didn't look to see that I Stu c ks shims too far. Though I think floor is sloped so the toilet is closer to level than the floor .

Advice appreciated. Thanks.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The important question is not whether it's gonna leak but whether you smell sewer gas. If the thing compressed the SaniSeal, which it should if the flange is on top of the finished floor, then you should be fine unless you shimmed it insanely-high. The primary point of the seal to the floor flange is to seal against sewer gas, not water. If you don't smell anything, then it is more likely than not that the seal is fine. Not a perfect way of testing, because some sewer gasses may be odorless, but it's a good start.

JayPlumb

Reaction score
The important question is not whether it's gonna leak but whether you smell sewer gas. If the thing compressed the SaniSeal, which it should if the flange is on top of the finished floor, then you should be fine unless you shimmed it insanely-high. The primary point of the seal to the floor flange is to seal against sewer gas, not water. If you don't smell anything, then it is more likely than not that the seal is fine. Not a perfect way of testing, because some sewer gasses may be odorless, but it's a good start.

How long does it take for sewer gas to dissipate after install? Since thought the slight smell was lingering but I suppose it could be the install itself.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sewer gas, if it's leaking, will tend to be a constant. It may change a little if it's a windy day from pressure in the vent. If it's constant, it might be crud that had accumulated underneath the old toilet that wasn't scrubbed clean verses from a leak on the new install. Normally, there should not be any smell from a toilet unless you've just used it, but that typically dissipates fairly quickly after being flushed. If you have a fan in the room, and it's constant while that is running, that implies a leaky gasket and sewer gasses escaping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks