Overload switch keeps tripping

Users who are viewing this thread

Esm

Reaction score
Hi, lately I seem to have a problem that causes the well pump overload switch to trip. On pressing it I hear a buzzing noise for a split second, then the pump runs again. I opened that Franklin 2 hp box and there is a black relay. Could it be that the contacts are arcing?
Thanks,
Ed

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that the pump pumps water.

One thing that can happen is that the start capacitor gets weak. The pump sometimes starts, sometimes it is delayed, and sometimes doesn't start.

When it is delayed or doesn't start, there is very high current that gets drawn. Once the pump starts, the current drops.

I am not saying that the start capacitor is getting weak, but that could explain the symptoms I think. It is cheaper than a new control box, and probably easier to change out.

Is your control box Franklin 282 301 8310 ? That uses a Franklin 275 464 137 start capacitor --
105-126 MFD (microfarads). start capacitor 126 search on an auction site gave what may be generic replacements. I am not sure of size matches.

If it means something to you, these are non-polarized electrolytics. They fail with accumulated time and starts. Guaranteed to fail eventually.

Last edited:

Esm

Reaction score
Yes, the pump runs great until the switch trips again. What is that buzzing sound I keep hearing when I push the switch?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The start relay is buzzing. Also means the points in the relay are not staying closed properly, which will cause the overload to trip. The start capacitor is probably also bad, as the two work together. Put on a new relay and start cap, then stop the cycling before you burn up the pump/motor. Burned relays, start caps, pressure switches, as well as failed tank bladders, check valves, and pump/motors are all caused by cycling on/off too much.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, the pump runs great until the switch trips again. What is that buzzing sound I keep hearing when I push the switch?
Put a clamp-around ammeter around one of the hot leads passing through the breaker (around L1 into the box would be a very good place). I suspect that when you hear the buzzing, there is high current.

Last edited:

Esm

Reaction score
I have ordered the capacitor but I can't find the correct start relay. The box is Franklin 2823018110.
What would be the relay #?

Esm

Reaction score
I just replaced the capacitor and the relay and it looks like the cap was definitely the culprit. I saw the sticky residue at the bottom of the cap, leaking like an old faucet.
My next project will be to install a water tank (with all the trimmings) next to the well house.
Thanks for all the input , really appreciated.
Ed

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks