Overflow tubing and part next to it

Users who are viewing this thread

razzle51

Reaction score
noticed a black substance inside toilet on the bowl and under the rim. took off top and the overflow tube is filled with black sludge ... what is this and what can I do to stop it ? I suppose that is what the black stuff is inside my toilet... noticed our other toilet has the problem under the rim too. thanks for help...

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have some smells from your water?
Is this your own well water?
How old is the toilet?

Reach4

Reaction score
Don't know what that would be unless it is sediment. Do your neighbors have similar symptoms by chance?

You might consider flushing your hot water tank if it is many years old, and try to observe what flushes out if anything. Maybe a sediment filter on your water would be good.

Wish I could help with identifying the sludge. When you press on some sludge on a paper plate, does it smear out like grease, or does it have solid particles that you can see? Haven't heard of that. Have you looked at your sink aerator screens?

razzle51

Reaction score
Don't know what that would be unless it is sediment. Do your neighbors have similar symptoms by chance?

You might consider flushing your hot water tank if it is many years old, and try to observe what flushes out if anything. Maybe a sediment filter on your water would be good.

Wish I could help with identifying the sludge. When you press on some sludge on a paper plate, does it smear out like grease, or does it have solid particles that you can see? Haven't heard of that. Have you looked at your sink aerator screens?
its like grease

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOme rubbers produce a black sludge as they start to decompose - often from high levels of chlorine or chloramine type chemicals in the water. It could be a mold as well. Hard to tell unless analyzed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOme rubbers produce a black sludge as they start to decompose - often from high levels of chlorine or chloramine type chemicals in the water. It could be a mold as well. Hard to tell unless analyzed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks