Overflow gasket woes

Users who are viewing this thread

asmad

Reaction score
I have an upstairs tub that was leaking at the overflow gasket during showers due to splashing. The problem is that the overflow drain pipe is not correctly aligned. There's not enough wiggle room to get it into a workable position or to access it from below or behind, either, due to various complexities with how it is plumbed and the location of nearby structural members.
Hopefully the picture shows the issue - which is that the PVC prong on the bottom, and to some degree the one on the right, are inaccessible behind the wall of the tub. Like I said, the pipe doesn't move enough to provide the room needed to work the gasket into place. With a great deal of work I was able to get a new gasket clear of the top and sides, but the bottom is completely hopeless.
Would it be against anyone's advice if I try to cut off the lower prong? If I can work a blade down in that area to remove just that one, I think I can get the gasket in place and at least gravity wouldn't be working against me in these circumstances. Thoughts? Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• overflow drain.jpg
    overflow drain.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 210

MKS

Reaction score
Not a plumber.
These gaskets are typically tapered so check that.
A little liquid dish soap may help.

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those prongs are just to hold the gasket in place during assembly. As long as you leave the other 3 intact and don't over-tighten there should not be an issue.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I sometimes push the overflow back with a screwdriver to gain some room for a new foam washer on the overflow. You can lose a pin or two.

overflow-gasket.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks