Over drilled (>60%) thru non-load bearing stud and need options to meet code

Users who are viewing this thread

Fastgt79

Reaction score
I drilled a hole in a non-load bearing stud greater then 60% for a drain pipe. Are there metal braces that can be attached to the stud to add support and meet code? What are my options other then replacing the studs and re-routing plumbing (there is no other route for plumbing)?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
On a non load bearing stud you can double them up. As for metal plates, you will need to ask the building inspector what he approves. Some are and some are not.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have "over drilled" studs "hundreds of times", (if not there would often not be a way to install the drain piping", over a period of 60+ years and have NEVER doubled up or used stud shoes.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Up till a couple years ago I did the same thing but with the 011 code change the inspectors seem to be all over hole drilling like white on rice.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
But we have wild or brown rice and rice is nice and provides a service to people. Need an inspector? go behind the coffee shop and listen for some snoring. .... More like flies to S&*^%.

I especially like the "Our schedule for your inspection is between 1 and 4 PM" -try that with your dentist.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
BV, you really ought to get yourself a patch of land in Wyoming and start your own militia or commune LOL

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Need an inspector? go behind the coffee shop and listen for some snoring.

Years ago the inspectors in one of the cities here gave the contractors handfuls of "green tags", and let them do their own inspections. The assumption was that the contractors "bought" the tags. It stopped when people started to wake up with the sun shining in their eyes, but the curtains were closed. The light was coming through cracks in the walls.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
BV, you really ought to get yourself a patch of land in Wyoming and start your own militia or commune LOL

Militia, no, only trust yourself and kid with a gun. Fairly trust our government, even if they are a greedy, corrupt buch of bobble heads. Commune with a gaggle of young mormon girls would be bliss.

Dont like horses anyway, nor too much snow. And cannot understand why we cant export the old ones and surplus wild ones to france for eating. Pigs and chickens make pets too. I think we ate 52 billion chickens last year. What gives a horse the right to life? Do they talk?

If you get inspections at a certain time, you are a lucky guy. And my brother is a city underground inspector and his 3, one hour lunches a day are famous.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't usually have a problem getting them to come out but then I'm special LOL OK, I was one for awhile and most of the local guys are friends.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks