Oven Wiring Requirement

Users who are viewing this thread

Mtnxtreme

Reaction score
I’m installing an IKEA oven it has 12/3 BX coming out, says use 12 gauge wire in the install manual and 3.7kw@120/240. Sounds like it’s saying use 12/3 and 20 amp breaker ? But from my calculations should be 30amp with 10/3 ?? Can anyone help ?!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 80% thing is mostly a myth.

You can run a single 20A non-continuous load on a 20A circuit. If it's a continuous load, it would be limited to 80% or 16A.

For 15A and 20A circuits with multiple outlets, then you are limited to 80% for any one cord-and plug connected load not fastened in place. But you could use multiple such (non-continuous) loads up to the full circuit rating.

Also, for a 15A or 20A circuit that serves equipment fastened in place, as well as lights or equipment not fastened in place, the total load of the equipment fastened in place is limited to 50% of the circuit rating. So a single 20A circuit could supply both a 12A dishwasher and an 8A garbage disposal, but not a 12A dishwasher and a general purpose receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne

Luke M

Reaction score
You can put a 16kw double oven on a 40A circuit. The NEC recognizes that you're not going to turn on everything all at once (probably!)

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can put a 16kw double oven on a 40A circuit. The NEC recognizes that you're not going to turn on everything all at once (probably!)
True for a "range" (which I assume means cooktop plus oven), but not for an individual oven or counter mounted cooktop unit. See NEC Table 220.55 Note 4.

Cheers, Wayne

Afjes

Reaction score
Some people interchange terms "range", "oven", "cook-top" as being the same thing so we don't always know what the DIYer is referring to and that makes a difference most times.

My mind tells me:
Range - Combined cooktop and oven as a single unit that is installed as one.
Cooktop - Only a cooktop, no oven
Oven - No cooktop just a single or double oven.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks