Outside water faucet leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave2021

Reaction score
Hi, I just started my sprinkler system and I have a leak on my outside water faucet. I have tried to remove the
Inside to replace the gasket or the hole think but I cannot unscrew it. The nut is stuck. Do I need a Wd40 or am I doing anything wrong ?I have attached the picture of the nut and faucet I work on.
Thanks, Dave

4DA1AB53-947C-403C-B35C-7792F6FB47D3.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
If the leak is from the stem, I would wrap some 3/32 packing cord (valve stem packing) around the stem under the packing nut, and put the packing nut back in place. Clockwise as viewed from the handle.

I like the white PTFE packing cord, but others prefer the black graphite packing cord. Both are good.

Dave2021

Reaction score
I cannot remove the nut shown in the picture to get to stem. How can I unscrew the nut?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. no absolute need to remove the nut, but that might make for easier access. If not removing, use a Popsicle stick or tool to push the cut tail of the cord tight to the shaft before tightening the nut. Opening the valve would move the shaft out some for better access, if it is not already full-open.
2. to remove the nut you would clean off the deposits keeping it from sliding off. Vinegar with a wet paper towel held in place for a while, CLR, etc. Or green Scotchbrite pad or sandpaper.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks