Outside vent/cleanout, Distance from house

Users who are viewing this thread

RazorKing

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen;
I am in the process of putting a 24' square pad behind the house. Currently, there is only a 3' concrete walkway adjacent to the house. The vent/cleanout for the MDV is next to the walkway only 3' feet away from the house.
Question: Can I move that Main Drain vent/cleanout to the end of the pad that I am installing or should it be sunk in the concrete next to the house?
Will the vent function properly that far down the line?
If I move to outside of pad, should I install cleanouts to run both ways on the main line?
Thanks for you help!
Dave

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The problem is that the vent is a vent for a house trap. It is possible that this house trap is not required anymore check with your local authorities.

If you are allowed to remove the house trap I would do so and install a cleanout at surface level.

If you are required to keep the house trap check with the local authorities to see if they will allow moving it, or, you will have to provide access for cleaning it. This is not something that you can just cement over! If your house trap clogs and they frequently do access to clean the trap and the line must be provided and if access is not provided there are but 2 options...

1 build an outhouse
2 break the cement and dig it up for access.

outsidecleanoutconfigurations.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks