Outside spot light

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry J

Reaction score
I have an outside spot light shining on my driveway with a sensor set-up. It's been there probably 9-10 years, so it's the old style.
I would like to replace it, cause it hasn't worked well anyway, and I would like to get something more modern and efficient.
Any suggestions on what's out there nowadays
Thanks
Barry

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This is the 13 watt compact fluorescent fixture we have been installing for years. Focus brand.

It's pretty stealthy but they make a smaller one now. Put it on a photo cell and it will cost about 20 cents a month to operate, dusk to dawn and the lamps last for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barry J

Reaction score
Thanks great info...If I use a photo cell, won't it come on at night??? That's not my purpose. I wanted one with a sensor for movement and have the option to switch it on when needed. Not for dusk to dawn.
Does "focus" make one for that??
Thanks
Barry

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can get a photocell adapter for any fixture. Fluorescent bulbs are not really fond of frequent switching like with a photocell. Might have short bulb life, or flickering.

If you are operating only on a motion sensor, then energy consumption is not necessarily a deal breaker, and why not just a halogen flood?

Barry J

Reaction score
Halogen flood is what I have now...and like you said, i guess efficency not a problem, cause the only time it would go off if something moves in my driveway or I'm working out there.
I guess my question is ...that mine is old and never really works well. I'm looking for a motion sensored spot light that has a good sensor, and won't go off cause of rain and will be able to be turned on on demand for outside driveway work in the dark

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of those I've seen are not made here, so QA/QC may be an issue. Some claim to have multiple zones, and the motion must logically cross them (i.e., not jump around) for it to decide it is something real. Since they are infrared triggered, I'm surprised that rain would do it. Where do you live? I suppose really warm rain might show enough of a temperature difference, but that surprises me. I've not done a survey on anything currently available...good luck in your research.

CFL bulbs often won't work with add-on motion detectors. If you want to go with that type of bulb, you probably need to find one specifically designed for it, or possibly just changing the bulb when it dies could prevent it from working. Also, check carefully on the required orientation and temperature operating range of the bulb since some CFL shouldn't be used base up and won't work in severe cold (not universal, but common).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks