Outside sewer line settled, causing drain issues at house

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin1b

Bill
Reaction score
My outside line going to my lagoon has settled at the house, causing the boot connecting the house to it to stretch (see attached). This also causes the opening between the house and the outside line to be at about half capacity, causing plugs (we had a plug this morning, which is how I discovered this).

Rather than digging the line out about 5 feet out to correct the settling, is there an easier way to fix this?

Please note: The line from the house is ABS and the line outside is PVC.

septic.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200521_161445270_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200521_161445270_HDR.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While you can use that fitting underground, it may not be ideal for the specific issue you're seeing...it requires that the line is really well supported with proper backfill and compression to keep things from moving. that will usually change the slope, and can become a major problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure the picture shows a problem. What we may be seeing is a bell-end pipe with a short length of pipe glued into the bell with clear primer and pvc cement. :cool:

Then the flex coupling is grabbing the short pipe. :D

Now Martin, what do you see that is not compatible with my proposed interpretation? What I don't see in the photo is a leak.

What you may be saying that there is an elevation drop at the pvc pipe, causing some discontinuity that stuff hangs up on. If that is the case, can you uncover some pipe, and shove more sand under the PVC? Or maybe the pvc pipe in the photo is smaller than the upstream pipe causing a discontinuity.

Last edited:

Martin1b

Bill
Reaction score
Yes, i'm saying the latter. The PVC pipe appears to have dropped about 3 inches, reducing the drain like the attached images. Raising it would increase slope, which is fine. Is my best option to dig up the pipe so I can raise it by shoving sand underneath?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 166

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, i'm saying the latter. The PVC pipe appears to have dropped about 3 inches, reducing the drain like the attached images. Raising it would increase slope, which is fine. Is my best option to dig up the pipe so I can raise it by shoving sand underneath?
I think so.

That pipe's pretty shallow, and sand makes for easy digging.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seems to me if the house side is constrained against movement (looks to be coming out of concrete?) then the joint would be best made with a shielded coupling that would resist an offset.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks