Outside Hot Tub Swim Spas wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerard

Reaction score
I have wired two hot tubs before. The first one was a Master Spa which required 240V 50 amp service. I used a feeder cable 6/3 with an uninsulated ground even though the ground was encased in the grey flat romex (also ran it through PVC 18” deep) and used GFI breakers. It worked great for over 12 years before we sold the house. Recently I wired a smaller “outside” hot tub and this time I used 6/3 romex and went from the house to the tub of about 8 feet. I ran this wire through the flex gray conduit and had no problems.

Now I have a bigger project with the swim spa, I need to run 2 separate 50 amp 240V circuits about 60 feet underground. The manufacturer required 6 gauge wire with 4 insulated wires, hence it needs to be a 6/4. They do NOT specify which wire to use only that it needs to be 6/4. The reason for the 6/4 is because they want all wires insulated to include the green ground wire. Here lies the problem. I can only find this wire in a SOOW wire and although the many claims of extreme durability, I don't feel this is the right wire. I do not like that this wire is multi stranded. I’m not opposed to say maybe an 8 strand wire to make up a 6 gauge but do NOT like using a stranded wire with about 101/26 to make up the 6 gauge. If I am not mistaken the spec 101/26 means that there are 101 strands at 26 gauge each. I question the durability of this wire due such high voltage and amperage. Could there be a drop on amperage with so many strands when using 101/26 verses say a 8/16 or so? Wouldn’t it better to use a thicker stranded or solid copper wire? Which ever wire I use I am putting it in the grey PVC underground so does it really need to be a 6/4 insulated wire?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The bottom line is you need to follow the manufacturer's recommendations but SOOW is for like heavy duty extension cords, not permanent installations. I found one listed without UL approval(?). SOOW has more strands so it is more flexible for rolling up. You see these used at carnivals when running temporary power on the ground.

It seems that running a 2" conduit is the way to go and then you use THHN that can be bought in all colors. Not sure why the ground needs to be insulated. It might be referring to the connection at the pump to the nearby cutoff switch. Is this your home or doing a job? The electrical inspector always has the final say.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have wired two hot tubs before. The first one was a Master Spa which required 240V 50 amp service. I used a feeder cable 6/3 with an uninsulated ground even though the ground was encased in the grey flat romex (also ran it through PVC 18” deep) and used GFI breakers. It worked great for over 12 years before we sold the house. Recently I wired a smaller “outside” hot tub and this time I used 6/3 romex and went from the house to the tub of about 8 feet. I ran this wire through the flex gray conduit and had no problems.
Just to double check, there are two types of non metallic cable suitable for building wiring, NM (romex, #14 is white, #12 is yellow, #10 is orange, etc) and UF (typically grey). Only UF can be used outside, NM is restricted to dry locations (and inside an outdoor conduit is still considered wet). UF is the stuff that's notably harder to strip, as the outer sheath isn't just a thin wrapping; it's actually solid all the way through, minus the space for the individual conductors.

For your current project, since you need an insulated EGC, you can't use a cable. You're going to have to pull individual conductors, THWN (all or almost all THHN is dual listed as THWN). So you'll need a complete conduit system from the spa to the disconnect, complying with all the usual rules for conduit.

Cheers, Wayne

Jerard

Reaction score
So are you saying i need to build my own 6/4 conduit and cannot buy something already made?

Jerard

Reaction score
The bottom line is you need to follow the manufacturer's recommendations but SOOW is for like heavy duty extension cords, not permanent installations. I found one listed without UL approval(?). SOOW has more strands so it is more flexible for rolling up. You see these used at carnivals when running temporary power on the ground.

It seems that running a 2" conduit is the way to go and then you use THHN that can be bought in all colors. Not sure why the ground needs to be insulated. It might be referring to the connection at the pump to the nearby cutoff switch. Is this your home or doing a job? The electrical inspector always has the final say.[/QU

Jerard

Reaction score
Just to double check, there are two types of non metallic cable suitable for building wiring, NM (romex, #14 is white, #12 is yellow, #10 is orange, etc) and UF (typically grey). Only UF can be used outside, NM is restricted to dry locations (and inside an outdoor conduit is still considered wet). UF is the stuff that's notably harder to strip, as the outer sheath isn't just a thin wrapping; it's actually solid all the way through, minus the space for the individual conductors.

For your current project, since you need an insulated EGC, you can't use a cable. You're going to have to pull individual conductors, THWN (all or almost all THHN is dual listed as THWN). So you'll need a complete conduit system from the spa to the disconnect, complying with all the usual rules for conduit.

Cheers, Wayne
New
So are you saying i need to build my own 6/4 conduit and cannot buy something already made?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
As you found on your searches, what you want is not made. You're dealing with some serious power here. Pump motors for this swim spa must be big motors and not wired to specifications might burn out very expensive motors. If this is your own home, it's your bill. If you are doing a job and you are not a licensed electrician, this is dangerous territory for you and a swim spa owner. Has a permit been pulled? No one on this forum will suggest anything less than electrical code and manufactures requirements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks