Outside faucet, weird adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bmaguire

Reaction score
I have two outside faucets, each with a
(backflow) vacuum sealer breaker bolted on the end. The backflow on each leaks.

The backflow connects to the standard faucet connector, but won't come off because the bolt end was broken off.

The backflow won't come off, but a weird adapter connected to the faucet end did come off, and the backflow with it. Now, the faucet has a thin thread female connector.

I've never seen this type of connector before. I think it might be specific to this faucet. Any idea where I could find the adapter or if nothing else the same faucet?

I've attached a picture of the adapter with the backflow connected.

Attachments

• IMG_20190430_213654884.jpg
    IMG_20190430_213654884.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 613

Bmaguire

Reaction score
Put it back together and then cut the backflow device off.

Thanks. This is a good idea. My next door neighbor tried this on his faucet. The threads on the faucet were damaged when the screw to the backflow was tightened when originally installed, and he further damaged it when cutting off the backflow.

I'm concerned I'll have the same problem. I'll try this if the only other option I'm left with is to replace the faucet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
DO NOT TRY TO UNSCREW THE VACUUM BREAKER, until you have removed the broken off' "safety screw" from the vacuum breaker. Once it is gone the vb will unscrew very easily. Then install a new hose vacuum breaker, and tighten the screw until its head breaks off.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Or, buy a new valve with one built-in versus an add-on. If you live where it can freeze, consider making that a frost-free one. If yours isn't, and it did freeze, the vacuum breaker may have been the failure point...often, it will split the valve, but the weakest link is the first to go.

leelee77

Reaction score
I have a question about this, too. I know they put those safety screws on there so people won't remove them, but do these backflow preventers ever go bad? If you have to remove one to replace it, how do you do it?

I have one that sprays water out all over the siding every time the water pressure changes when I have the hose on, is that normal? Like if I'm outside watering and the washing machine starts or stops filling, it blasts water out all over the house. The one on the other hose bib doesn't do that. The safety screw is facing the house so not much space to get at it if I do have to remove it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The water "blasting out" is trying to flow into the house so the backflow preventer is doing its job correctly. The go bad all the time. When they do you either replace it or replace the entire valve and put a vb on it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a question about this, too. I know they put those safety screws on there so people won't remove them, but do these backflow preventers ever go bad? If you have to remove one to replace it, how do you do it?
If you cannot unscrew the screw, you would have to drill it out.

The screw in the photo may be an Allen head screw which could unscrew.

leelee77

Reaction score
The water "blasting out" is trying to flow into the house so the backflow preventer is doing its job correctly. The go bad all the time. When they do you either replace it or replace the entire valve and put a vb on it.

Thanks, HJ. The one on the front of my house doesn't blast water out but it does make a lot of whining noise as the water pressure changes. Is that one working?

I've got to figure out a way to protect the siding from always getting soaked.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
'Ive got to figure out a way to protect the siding from always getting soaked."

Place a rag over the valve when your using it and it would wet the siding

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;

It is NOT. It WAS a hex head bolt and the head was intentionally designed to break off when it was tightened on to the hose bibb.

Bmaguire

Reaction score
quote;

It is NOT. It WAS a hex head bolt and the head was intentionally designed to break off when it was tightened on to the hose bibb.

That is correct. It was a hex head bolt that was broken off. It looks like an allen head because I tried to get the screw out using a screw extractor which didn't work.

My next move was going to be to cut the thing off, but then my neighbor told me about how he wrecked his doing this.

I'm still hoping I can find out what faucet has that odd adapter with the garden hose threading on one side (where the vacuum breaker is connected) and the narrower threading on the other. If I can find the same faucet I can buy a new one just for that adapter on the end.

Can anyone identify that narrower threading? I went to two plumbing stores and nobody recognized it.

Frank A.

Reaction score
I have two outside faucets, each with a
(backflow) vacuum sealer breaker bolted on the end. The backflow on each leaks.

The backflow connects to the standard faucet connector, but won't come off because the bolt end was broken off.

The backflow won't come off, but a weird adapter connected to the faucet end did come off, and the backflow with it. Now, the faucet has a thin thread female connector.

I've never seen this type of connector before. I think it might be specific to this faucet. Any idea where I could find the adapter or if nothing else the same faucet?

I've attached a picture of the adapter with the backflow connected.

I have exactly the same issue with the same type of faucet ( three of them leak) Did this issue ever get resolved. I have tried every hardware store and mostly every web site however I was unable to find the same type o faucet or replacement parts any advice would be appreciated. The handle indicates that it is a Woodford , however Woodford does not have this 1/2 inch fine thread female connector to the outside faucet. the Vacum Breaker has a pin connecting it to the fine thread faucet connector with no way to remove it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks