Outside Faucet Repair Question

Users who are viewing this thread

oklajonn

Reaction score
I have an outside faucet on the front of my house, which is dripping about 56 drops every minute. I called a plumber to repair the leaky faucet and was quoted a price of $866, not including possible drywall work and an access door. Since I only have a cutoff for the whole house, which is in the front yard with the meter (house was built in 1962), he told me Oklahoma City now has an ordinance (has had for a little over a year) which requires a cutoff inside the house for an outside faucet and he would have to cut into the wall near the faucet to install the following, he says in his written estimate:
Sill cock and ball valve: I will have to open the wall and take out old sill cock. I put in a ball valve and then connect a new sill cock bring it up to code and the customer would have to have ah access panel where I opened up the wall Total Estimate:$866.60."
So my cost of fixing the faucet is $866.60+. My question, is this reasonable and do new ordinances apply to fixing plumbing in older houses? I was planning on maybe a new washer, or stem to repair the faucet. For now, I have decided to just let the faucet drip - it will take a lot of drips to use $866 worth of water I think. Is this a stupid conclusion for me to make? I will appreciate any input for this.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Or for now a hose bib splitter. You can always do a better repair later.

hose-bib-spliter.jpg

oklajonn

Reaction score
Dripping Faucet.jpg

fitter30, here's a pic of the faucet. Terry, hose bib splitter sounds like cheap temporary solution - thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks