Outdoor water barrels leak at spigot

Users who are viewing this thread

Erik Feder

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm by no means a pro and have limited experience with plumbing, but I'm game to try simple things myself.
I have some outdoor water barrels (250 l each) that collect rain water from my shed and house. I used plastic spigots with rubber seals on the inside and outside of the barrels. They work fine at first but invariably leak at the spigot after a year or so.
It seems to me that the friction caused by turning the spigot when opening & closing it loosens the seals. It also seems like the seals deteriorate (start cracking) much sooner than I expected them to. Both of these issues (cracking and seal loosening) seem to be the culprits.
I've changed the seals a couple of times but it's always the same story. Here's what I'm thinking but I'm very open to and appreciative of suggestions:
  • Trying brass spigots instead of plastic
  • Seeing if there is a better kind of seal (galvanized rubber?) - the ones I've used are sold at my local Home depot equivalent as being for outside, but maybe there is a higher quality
  • I've read about using a marine sealant around the spigot
I'm not sure what combo of the above - or what other ideas I'm not ware of - might be best moving forward.
Thanks for any ideas.

Erik Feder

Reaction score
Thanks. So a brass spigot with a normal rubber seal (nothing special). Would the seal then go on the inside? No need for a special sealant?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks