Outdoor sump pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bubb1957

Reaction score
I live in an area with an extremely high water table, and my sump runs about every 5 minutes, and with 1 1/2 or 2 inches of rain, will run as often as every 45 seconds for a day or so. I have gone thru many tether and vertical switches, and am currently trying the "sump watcher" float switch. My contractor has suggested "t" ing into my existing footer tiles which flow into my inside basement crock, and also having a larger sump pump crock outside, away from the foundation and lower than my current crock. I would obviously want something different than a regular sump pump, but what could I install that would be bigger and more powerful and more durable than a regular residential pump? My current footer tile is around 5/12 ft to 6 feet below ground level. Thanks for any opinions/advice anyone can give me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pumps and switches don't like to turn on and off in short cycles. See if you can reposition things so the pump will run longer in one cycle. Placing it up on blocks can help keep it from pumping gravel or sand,but too much of a good thing ends up being bad.

SumppumpPimp

In the Trades
Reaction score
A sump pump is going to work whether it is indoors or outdoors unless of course it is a pedestal style pump. I really don't understand why you need a bigger more powerful pump? Are you saying this because it is going outdoors?

To size a pump properly someone will need this info:
How many GPM's are coming into the pit?
What is the total head that the pump has to over come?
What is the voltage and phase available for the pump?
What size pipe is going to be used to distribute the waste water.

Thanks,
ZP

Bubb1957

Reaction score
I would like to get it outdoors to have a bigger diameter and deeper crock, and allow it to pump less often, but at a greater volume. He is going to design it so that if the exterior pump or float fails, it would then flow into the interior crock as a back up until I get the exterior pump going again. During a heavy rain, I take on around 900 gph and with my current set up, it pumps around 40-45 seconds at that rate. The current rise in drain tile from the pump is about 7 feet before it runs horizontal. It is a 1 1/2 inch pipe, which I will also be tapping into my exterior pump into. I can probably have about any voltage needed for the new pump, as its not very far from the 200 amp breaker box. I would really would have liked to gravity feed the footer tiles away from the house, but that "outlet" is a ravine about 1000 ft away would have to bore under a state route to do it.

mrncfg

Reaction score
what about freezing weather

at my wits end with this...and really am contemplating putting an outdoor sump pump in, but in the suburbs of chicago, and am afraid of it freezing in the winter....however, water flows in constantly, and i would have to have the outdoor pit lower than 8 feet down, so would that eliminate any freezing? especially since the water is continually flowing....

Also, the water coming into the pit isn't coming into the pit thru the drain tile, rather where that drain tile pipe comes into the pit...it is coming in underneath that?

Last edited:

mrncfg

Reaction score
Any experts out there with thoughts on installing an external sump pump pit?

I found this company: www.pitmasters.com but they are no longer in business. This looks like exactly what I am looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

SumppumpPimp

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would basically get an 8' deep tank and put a pump in there and be done with it. You will have 15 gpm coming in which isn't too bad and pump it out the 1000 foot run. Just run 2" pipe all the way out but you will have to keep it below the "freeze" line in the ground. A 1/2 hp will be fine for this application as long as the pump that is bought is designed for the design point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks