Outdoor spigot pipe install questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom26

Reaction score
Hello, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

I am looking to install two outdoor spigots in my yard. I am trying to see what’s the best way to go about it and material to use.

The spigots will be connected off my main irrigation line. The irrigation line is 1” schedule 40 PVC, I have 1” galvanized steel that I was going to use for my pressure vacuum breaker but decided to use PVC due to corrosion.

What’s the best pipe to use for it? I hear bad things about galvanized steel but I see them on a lot of outdoor hydrant faucets. One area I don’t mind using it because I’ll be able to dig it back up, the other area I will be pouring concrete so this is a one and done opportunity.

Would copper be a better solution or will the galvanized steel be ok? The prior owners used what appears as galvanized steel. However I tore out the system completely and redoing it all.

What’s the best way to install the pipe? The 1” I have is probably 24-36” but I have another that is 12” but is 3/4 so transition from PVC to that is my question? Would I run the pic pipe up and attach a coupling to the pipe and make thread to that or should the transition be horizontal and not vertical. If I use the 36” would galvanized elbow go to me threaded PVC?

If copper, could I do it vertical so I don’t have to do many connections?

I read somewhere that transitions should be done before going vertical to prevent any breakage.

I’m overthinking this because the other spigots worked, but my concern is once concrete goes down in one spot it’s game over and I rather get it right.

Edit: another question, I have my PVB in PVC, am I able to T off in the outflow and connect a faucet to it by PVC? How stable would it be, it’s not anchored to anything and this would help out for the side of my house.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So I take it that there is a vacuum breaker for the irrigation, the yard faucets off of those lines.
PVC or poly in the ground would be fine, though for the risers I can see using galvanized for the faucets. Sometimes with yard hydrants I've used wood post to make them more sturdy. The one on the right, in Seattle without the post.

yardhydrant_installed.jpg
yard-hydrant-03.jpg

yard-hydrant-snow.jpg

I saw this one in Leavenworth WA

Tom26

Reaction score
So I take it that there is a vacuum breaker for the irrigation, the yard faucets off of those lines.
PVC or poly in the ground would be fine, though for the risers I can see using galvanized for the faucets. Sometimes with yard hydrants I've used wood post to make them more sturdy. The one on the right, in Seattle without the post.

yardhydrant_installed.jpg
yard-hydrant-03.jpg

yard-hydrant-snow.jpg

I saw this one in Leavenworth WA

Thank you so much for your response, yes pressure vacuum breaker. I think the files are too large to post.

I hope this works,

tom26-01.jpg

I want to do something similar with the 3/4 pipe next to it, but it’s shorter, can I use pvc riser then connect to the pipe or will that cause too much stress. this one is wrong that was previously installed because male threads to pvc, correct?

I also have a 1” that is double the size of the 3/4, would I use a galvanized elbow?

Is the better option, I don’t want it to rust or clog the line from what I’ve read so I’m trying to understand.

Also on the pvb, I want to add a faucet right at the down turn from a T would that be ok?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks