Outdoor Shower Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Delaware Tim

Reaction score
I want to install an outdoor shower with hot and cold water, and will need to winterize each year. Entire ground floor of home is uninsulated (built in flood plain) so I already use an air compressor to blow out my garden hose bibs each year. Shower will be on an exterior wall of this uninsulated ground floor.

I'm thinking to run PEX lines across the ceiling, then curve them down to a single handle shower/tub control valve, and hook up a short (~1 foot) PEX line from the tub side of the valve down to a ball valve (all inside the wall). This ball valve will remain closed all summer.

Then to winterize, I'll shut off the water supply upstairs near the water main, I'll open the "tub" ball valve into a bucket, and then drain and then blow out the lines through this line (I'll tee the air compressor into these lines, also upstairs, like I did for my garden bibs). I'm assuming if I do this, there won't be any water left in the shower/tub valve or in the riser to the shower head (although I'll leave the faucet handle fully on and remove the shower head for good measure). Does this make sense? Should any "standard" tub/shower valve work, or is there something I need to watch for?

Thanks for any comments.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is one I got tired of repairing for a customer.

outdoor_shower_repair_1.jpg

outdoor_shower_repair_2.jpg

After repairing for a few years I finally removed it. At one point I had ball valves leading to this so at least they could shut the water off and schedule me to come out without it being an emergency.

Delaware Tim

Reaction score
Terry, please clarify. I guess you're saying what I'm proposing won't work? Why not? Where did the water freeze?

Delaware Tim

Reaction score
I'm afraid your horror story doesn't really help - no idea if your homeowner ever drained the system, blew it out, etc. From the pictures of the pipe insulation, perhaps he was hoping it somehow wouldn't freeze?

I guess I have to ask a more basic question: with a shower/tub valve, once I've shut off the water supply to the valve, and the tub spigot fully drains, is there any water left in the valve?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Put a stop and waste valve on the hot and cold supply line's as far away from the shower valve as you can. Turn the valves off and drain the lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks