Outdoor Shower Diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

marshdale

Reaction score
The diverter to our outdoor shower cracked due to frozen water this week.

Can someone tell me the make of this particular one so I can buy a replacement?

Thanks, JB

Attachments

• Barroso Shower.jpeg
    Barroso Shower.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 608

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes.
You left it with water in it.
Not much you can do buy keep those drained down over the Winter. You can install a four port single handle valve, with a diverter spout on the bottom. That would drain the riser. But the pipes going to the valve can and will split too.

Reach4

Reaction score
Idea...
That is a low-pressure area. Suppose you opened the plug, and let things dry. Put some JB-weld on the tip of a finger in a nitrile glove. Shove stuff into the crack from inside. If you are brave enough, you could suck on the outside of the crack to draw the JB-weld inside better.

I hope you can keep the threads clean. Then you can put the plug back in with teflon tape, and let the water out at the end of the summer next time.

An alternative idea is to apply a suction from one of the pipes with a vacuum cleaner. Apply JBW to the outside, and let it be drawn it. At some point, turn off the suction and goop some extra JBW.

If that is steel, you could find somebody to braze or weld a repair.

Of course if you can find a replacement, that will be more straight-forward.

marshdale

Reaction score
Yes.
You left it with water in it.
Not much you can do buy keep those drained down over the Winter. You can install a four port single handle valve, with a diverter spout on the bottom. That would drain the riser. But the pipes going to the valve can and will split too.

When I go back with new diverter, I'll install a pipe from bottom of diverter with a hose bib on the end. That way it can be used to wash feet off during the season, and fully drain diverter in the winter (there are isolation valves for the outside shower inside a conditioned space).

Any idea of the manufacturer for this particular diverter? It was only installed about 2 years ago, and I was hoping to go back with exact replacement for ease of installation.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Why not install a proper hose bib outside with the frost free design - but pipe it with hot and cold so you can have warm water when you use it. That should work fine with no fear of freezing....

marshdale

Reaction score
Diverter Manufacturer

Thanks for all the helpful tips, but what I could really use now is the manufacturer of this specific diverter. Cheers!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks