Outdoor faucet leaks through handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Hawkeye_wx

Reaction score
My house was built in the 1960s. One of the outdoor faucets is original to the house. It has "DEARBORN" imprinted on it. The problem is water badly leaks out through the handle when it is turned on. I can't check/replace the washer/o-ring inside the faucet guts because, over 50+ years, the screw has been fused to the handle and the handle itself has been fused to the stem. I am able to unscrew the silver part from the white part and pull the entire faucet handle and stem out of the house. The stem is long, at least twelve inches. Again, though, I can't get inside the handle where the problem is. I'm guessing I will need to replace the entire sillcock?

If so, I'd like to try to save myself a couple hundred bucks by doing it myself. I was afraid I'd have to do some soldering, but I just learned there is something called a push-connect shark bite fitting that could make it much simpler. Is this something I should be able to do myself? I'm assuming I'd have to just cut the pipe, remove the old sillcock, install the new one (something like a Woodford 17 from Lowes), and then fit the two pipes together. I have included photos of the faucet and inside piping. I'm assuming the pipe is copper, as it is brown and has some blue corrosion. The diameter of the pipe is 7/8 inch. I see there is some kind of fitting already there, so I'm not sure how that would complicate things.

I'd gladly take any info/advice anyone could give me. My neighbor has the same old faucet and same problem, so either I or a plumber will have to do the same thing for her.

Thanks,
Dan

46nuyHa.jpg

4Zdl1Mv.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Turn off the water.

Open the valve. Pull the knob off, after removing the screw..

Unscrew the chrome hex nut with a big wrench while holding the white part-- perhaps with a big Vice Grip Pliers. Don't put much stress on the screws to the house.

The area you want to fix is the packing. I don't find info on how to fix the packing inside of your spigot, but if you can get in there, you can probably see.

Since you have access from behind, you might be better off just replacing that unit.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I am able to unscrew the silver part from the white part and pull the entire faucet handle and stem out of the house. The stem is long, at least twelve inches. Again, though, I can't get inside the handle where the problem is. I'm guessing I will need to replace the entire sillcock?
You could take the innards to a large plumbing supply house and see if they can match you up with new parts otherwise if you need to replace the whole thing at least it looks easy enough to get at it so long as you have the soldering skills.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks