Outdoor carpet adhesive question

Users who are viewing this thread

Macman

Reaction score
Not exactly a remodel question, but the best place for this question that I could find. I'm going to put olefin outdoor carpet on a covered concrete porch (stoop). It sounds like the accepted method is to use an adhesive made specifically for this purpose. If 5 years down the road I want to replace the carpet, is the adhesive going to make it darned near impossible? Just wondering what this stuff is like, and if there's any kind in particular that you would recommend.

Macman

Reaction score
Not really what I wanted to hear. :) I know that normally you'd want an adhesive that lasts "forever" but carpet doesn't, so I have to also look to the day that it might have to be replaced. Good information though, and I appreciate the response jimbo!

Last edited:

Macman

Reaction score
Thanks HJ. I just ran into a snag. This past Saturday the concrete was sealed with a clear liquid solvent based sealer. Today while we were shopping carpet the salesperson informed me that we might have an issue with the adhesive not being able to stick to the sealed concrete. I called Henry and DAP to see what they had to say. Henry's answer was that it needed to be "tested on a small patch" to see how it works. That was pretty useless information in my opinion. DAP said that it would not work, period. I think we've messed up by trying to protect the concrete, in this particular case.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any foreign substance can affect the bond. Some sealers contain stuff like silicon, some contain oils, and some may contain waxes. Whether the adhesive will be able to bond is a tough call without knowing the exact components of each. The chemistry can be complex. You'd have a similar problem if trying to tile it...the thinset might not bond properly, either, and if the surface got spalled, you probably couldn't use a repair layer. When building something, every step can have consequences, some good, some bad.

You'll only know if you test it.

Macman

Reaction score
Truer words were never spoken. I just talked to my brother. He suggested that it might be possible to sand the sealer off and rough up the surface with a rotary sander with a course disc. We also discussed how maybe DAP and Henry were taking the safe way out by not saying that it might work okay. I really have to wonder just how much adhesion we would get. Do you have any specific method that you could recommend to test it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks