Our sump pump is extremely loud

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Terry,
I viewed this response back from you to someone who was experiencing a loud sump pump: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21333

“I think it may be about damping the vibrations.
You may want to set the pump on a rubber pad, and use rubber couplings where the pipes connect. It may also help to put on an insulated cover over the pump for sound, making sure you have at least a 2" vent to allow incoming air otherwise the pump won't be able to pull the water out.
Galvanized pipe will be quieter than plastic.”
My husband is not very handy. I read your response above and some other chats regarding our loud sump pump issue and he said “But I don’t know how to do any of that!!” Is there a way you might be able to give us step by step instructions – “sump pumps for dummies?” Maybe a picture of something we should buy?

Our sump pump is extremely loud and sounds like the garage door opener every 10 minutes. It basically vibrates the whole first floor. But it’s really loud in our children’s play room (that we converted from the dining room) because that room is right over the pump.

Please help. We can’t go through another winter (our second year in this house) with this noise! We’ve had plumbers come and make repairs to the pump since we moved in, so we know it’s working properly, etc. It’s just that vibration noise that is driving us bananas! Anything you can do to help us through would be appreciated.

Thank you so much.
Patti

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It may be time for a new pump.

I replaced my sixteen year old one with a new one of the same make and model and it was much quieter.

I could hear the old one from my bedroom. Not any more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks