Our Drake (743) garners 4/5 stars. Will a Drake 202I (776) satisfy?

Users who are viewing this thread

golem

Reaction score
We've had a Toto Drake CST743S for about 5 years and have been completely satisfied with performance. Prepared to tackle another bathroom and was wondering if consensus might be that I'd be free of regret "upgrading" to a CST776CSFG or should I just opt for the known and go with a CST744SL?

I recall not being very impressed by the Tornado flush I saw on the web when compared to the G-Max we've become accustomed too. Without the forceful G-Max siphon the power wash-down (Tornado) looks a little oomph deprived. Even more concerning was my impression that the bowl of the Drake II looked as though it was shaped oddly (flatter) almost allowing a shelf for refuse. I'm hoping this was an optical illusion. Reading the forum it seems possible the Tornado flush I viewed was either a sub 1.6 gallon or maybe an early model Drake II.

Any and all insight appreciated.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Check out the test results of most all toilets you are considering at www.map-testing.com
I only recommend choosing 1,000 score (1,000 grams). Though our Toto rep used to say, Toto uses their own methodology for testing and are "satisfied" with Tornado flush performance in their labs.

golem

Reaction score
Much appreciate the replies Terry and breplum.

Thanks for the edit of my subject line Terry. After way too much research names and numbers begin the convolution process. ;-)

Great link brplum. When it comes to MAP stats it seems difficult to go wrong with the current Drake offerings although we all know real-world is always different. Have to admit you give me pause with your quoted "satisfied" -- Hopeful it was simply a play of word on my subject line. ;-)

I know the 776 is a relatively new line so little practical experience can be offered. I was selfishly hoping someone could offer advice stating the Tornado, in the case of a long term 743 G-Max user, would require seeing-is-believing that the solids flush quality is comparable or better. The refreshened bowl surface after each flush for reducing ammonia odor is simply a bonus.

Reach4

Reaction score
Check out the test results of most all toilets you are considering at www.map-testing.com
I only recommend choosing 1,000 score (1,000 grams). Though our Toto rep used to say, Toto uses their own methodology for testing and are "satisfied" with Tornado flush performance in their labs.
The unloved CST746 shows a MAP rating of 1000. So that scoring may have limitations.

golem

Reaction score
The unloved CST746 shows a MAP rating of 1000. So that scoring may have limitations.
Thanks for the insight.

So, "satisfied" possibly was a cautionary wordplay via the initiated. ;-)

Seems at this time I have one vote for better surface finish along with improved bowl wash-down. This just leaves my main curiosity peaked -- comparison of solids removal -- Tornado 1.6 vs. G-Max 1.6.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
S suffix = G-Max Flush= 1.6 gallons per flush. Those may be hard to find today.

E = E-max, Ecoflush, 1.28 gallons
U= 1 gallon

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anything over 700 grams is very good. The MaP testing started with meso paste, learned from the TOTO engineers. Then they decided to wrap those in plastic to make them reusable. The numbers shot up when the wrapped them that way. No longer sticky, but now slippery.
And then you have the ads for flushing balls that bounce down rough trapways no matter what. Not a real test.
I have sold thousands of the TOTO products, all have worked very well.
The American Standard Cadet 3 or Cadet Pro models have been good, and Kohler also makes some good products. When I started doing the reviews, there were scores like 125 grams and 200 grams out there. They have been some major improvements over the years.

golem

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I currently have both the CST744SL#12 and CST776CSFG#12 sitting in my cart. Really itching to remove one and get the order pushed through, leaning toward the latter.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I currently have both the CST744SL#12 and CST776CSFG#12 sitting in my cart. Really itching to remove one and get the order pushed through, leaning toward the latter.
Color 12 is Sedona Beige.

golem

Reaction score
Yes sir, Sedona Beige, elongated, 12" rough, universal height are my needs. ;-)

I've finally found a confirmed video of a 1.6 Tornado flush unfortunately it's a 746. This might also be where I got the initial impression of a "shelf" to collect solids that don't make the sweet spot, optical illusion? Is this basically the same bowl design of the 776 or does the 1.6 776 have a more generous water spot?

Thanks again for sharing your insights!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 746 and the 776 are a totally different design.

CST746

My video of the flush.
We installed one at my son Jamie's home. He used it for two months and then we tossed it. I won't be selling the CST746 bowls again.
The new CST776 bowl is like the CST454 bowl. Much, much better.

CST776 bowl

Last edited:

golem

Reaction score
Fabulous post Terry!

That insight has relieved my reservation and the 776 will be on order this evening. This site didn't steer me wrong a few years ago with the 743 I ended up choosing and I'm confident this will do the same.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks