Other water usage during shower !

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob1000

Reaction score
My water system is as follows:-
Water 0.75HP pump connected to the mains
Pressure tank
pressure switch set to 40/70 psi

I set it that way to keep the pump continously running during the shower with the tap FULLY OPEN to avoid that annoying sudden change of hot and cold water mixture when the pump turn on and off and cause pressure variation , and I am very happy with that setting for showering because the pressure would built up untill 60psi and stay constant during shower with the tap full open
The problem now is , when anybody uses water in the kitchen then the water mixture in the shower changes and I get hot and cold shocks again
Any ideas how to solve this problem?

I thought of fixing a pressure regulator in the home entrance and set it to 50psi , would that help?
Thanks in advance

Speedbump

Reaction score
More than likely not. The problem is the piping size. When someone opens a cold water faucet, the added friction loss causes the cold water to slow down going to your shower. Hence the scalding you feel. The opposite is true too, you can be frozen to death in the shower if someone opens the hot water somewhere in the house.

bob...

R

Rancher

Speedbump, I'm proud of you, not even a mention of the CSV...

Bob1000 said:
The problem now is , when anybody uses water in the kitchen then the water mixture in the shower changes and I get hot and cold shocks again Any ideas how to solve this problem?
The solution is showering etiquette, no sink use during showers, no laundry, no flushing of the toilet. The pressure regulator may help some.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
If I thought it would help his problem I would have, but I don't see how it can. I once built a house (never again) but I put in 1" mainline (copper). No problems like Bob1000 mentioned. I don't understand why 3/4" has been the code for so long. It's inadequate in my opinion. I also had a loop from the furthest faucet back to the water heater wrapped in insulation. It went back with 1/2" into the drain at the bottom of ther heater. The drop in temperature going that distance made it circulate and kept instant hot water at all faucets. Then I mixed hot with the cold into the toilets to keep them from sweating. This should be code everywhere!

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you put a restrictor in the kitchen faucet you will reduce the problem.

A thermostatically modulated shower control valve will also help. Most new shower valves are thermostatically controlled.

New shower systems are limited to 2.5 GPM, unless you take out the restrictor. The lower flow might upset your 60 psi pump control system.

Bob1000

Reaction score
Thermostatic mixers are not an option to me because of its difficult to use knobs by elder family members in the house , we have a hand mixer easy to use
By the way , the existing piping is 1/2" not even 3/4" and galvanized steel so I think there must be a lot of friction there taking into mind the opinions said ere
Any other ideas ???

Bob1000

Reaction score
hi

speedbump said:
If I thought it would help his problem I would have, but I don't see how it can. I once built a house (never again) but I put in 1" mainline (copper). No problems like Bob1000 mentioned. I don't understand why 3/4" has been the code for so long. It's inadequate in my opinion. I also had a loop from the furthest faucet back to the water heater wrapped in insulation. It went back with 1/2" into the drain at the bottom of ther heater. The drop in temperature going that distance made it circulate and kept instant hot water at all faucets. Then I mixed hot with the cold into the toilets to keep them from sweating. This should be code everywhere!

bob...

Hi Speedpump
Thank you for your reply but may I ask what is your water system configuration?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Now, it's 3/4" copper in my present house and we get the water temp problems like you mentioned. With the house up north years ago with the 1" plumbing that problem never occured.

bob...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd switch the shower valve to a pressure balanced version. Get one with a large loop handle trim - easy to turn. You can get similar trim on a thermostatically controlled valve as well. Instead of knobs, you can get one with a lever for the temperature control and another one for the volume. Lots of options here. Depending on the age, that galvanized piping may have the internal diameter of a pencil...Maybe it is time to think about updating that.

Bob1000

Reaction score
I think I must replace hose pipes one day in the future but any temporary solution now for the ime being apart from a new shower valve?

Bob1000

Reaction score
speedbump said:
Now, it's 3/4" copper in my present house and we get the water temp problems like you mentioned. With the house up north years ago with the 1" plumbing that problem never occured.

bob...

But what about the rest of the system , the pump and the ank and the switches? what do you have there ? That must play a role in your problem as well

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks