< or > 90% efficiency oil furnace?

Users who are viewing this thread

paulmars

Reaction score
I just bought a new thermostat for my central oil HVAC unit. Honeywell TH4110D. I can set it for oil heater <90% efficiency or >90% efficiency. I'm not sure which to set it at. I am hoping that my unit is not exactly 90%, cuz then I'm screwed. Bryant model 58cma105-12 installed in year 2001. Bryant wont help me. they insist that i pay a service tech to come here and tell me. That ain't happening.

Also, compressor cycle rate setting 3 is recommended for most compressors. I hope that is what I have.

Your thoughts?

tks,
pa

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Anything over 87% is extremely rare for oil burners in the US.

If you take a peek at the table on p.4 of the 58CMA specification sheet you'll see that the heating capacity BTU to input BTU, is about 81%, independent of which nozzle is installed. Definitely sub-90%.

Even when fitted with a 0.50 gph nozzle it's more than 2x oversized for the heat load of most houses in FL, but that's not going to affect efficiency for a hot-air furnace, but longer burns with more modest exit-air temperatures at the registers are usually more comfortable. All oil burners are oversized for new code-minimum house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks