Opinions on Drilling Through Shower Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
It's been my experience with Kohler stuff is that they are much less forgiving on mounting stuff. FOr example, some of their body sprays require the distance to be within 1/16" to fit properly.

Keep the instruction sheet...Kohler changes things frequently, and identifying any repair/replacement part you may need can be really tough to identify without it.

Will do. Thanks.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's been my experience with Kohler stuff is that they are much less forgiving on mounting stuff. FOr example, some of their body sprays require the distance to be within 1/16" to fit properly.

The hydrorail is not one of those. I've installed dozens of them and they have a lot of adjustability built into their written instructions.. and you can fudge things a bit too if you're creative. I install enough of the Kohler Hydrorails that I have a few of the odd sized nipples in stock.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/kohler-k-45904-hydrorail-installation.84672/

k-45904-terrylove-07.jpg

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I travel for a living. I just stayed in a hotel that coincidentally has Kohler HydroRail fixtures installed.

The pictures illustrate the importance of using the correct type of wall anchors. It was like this when I checked-in.

20220110_162208.jpg

20220110_162218.jpg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Funny what happens when you own a Thing, you see that Thing everywhere.

When I isntall these, I have plywood flush with the face of the studs that I can drill regular short (enuf) screws into rather than anchors. But retrofitting, you're going to be at the mercy of whatever.. I generally can find backing that the drop ear is attached to with some 4" screws.

My last choice is to drill for toggles.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I'm traveling but the girlfriend sent this pic; the Super installed the HydroRail today and apparently, had no issues.

And thanks for identifying the valve body as the Atrio. That made it much easier to determine we needed a 47050000 cartridge. Replacing the cartridge, as expected, has resolved the temp control issue.

HydroRail.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks