Opinions of Amtrol Boilermate

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I'm going to add an indirect to my boiler's DHW coil in the spring, and want to check some options. Hookup ease is one consideration but the biggest is durability. I know it's tough to weed through internet chaff but I've seen whispers of the current generation of Boilermate not being as long-lived as the ones installed 20 - 30 years ago. Is there truth to this?

Thanks.

John

Fitter30

Reaction score
This company has been around for a very long time. Biggest problem is lack of maintenance running cleaner through the heat exchanger. Water heater is always out of sight out of mind. Going to need a control to prioritize dhw.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
I have one that's about 10 years old. No issues so far. The reason I like it is just another zone on the boiler, no exhaust vent, the tank is lined so water isn't sitting in a steel tank and rusting out and because we are on a well, many people with traditional hot water heaters have issues with the anode rod causing the water to smell bad.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
This company has been around for a very long time. Biggest problem is lack of maintenance running cleaner through the heat exchanger. Water heater is always out of sight out of mind. Going to need a control to prioritize dhw.

My control does have those features.

How are those cleaned out?

John

PeterDux

Reaction score
Maybe mine is one of the good ones. 26 years old and working perfectly. I replaced my boiler two years ago but left the Boilermate alone.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Wow, I never knew you were supposed to clean them out. Wouldn't it matter if your water is hard or soft? I can imagine that hard water would build up more scale verses softened water. We use a water softener so I know our water has near zero hardness and I test it to make sure. I may have to clean mine out and see. I already have a ball valve boiler drain always connected to a hose to the nearby sump pump to drain the tank every year since it's a vacation home. If I have to remove the t&p valve at the top to do it, then I'd put a tee and ball valve at the top so I don't have to remove the valve every time. Instead just drain everything, open the ball valve and funnel in the cleaner.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
This video shows coils removed from a home after 15 years using filtered, soft water and little to no scale build up. So it seems that the need to clean the units really depends on your water quality.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks