Open pipe and high water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Mel_n_Chibi

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new homeowner and have a few plumbing problems. I've searched the forum and cannot find answers to two problems (there are so many more, but I am limiting this to the two biggest problems):

1. Open pipe in the basement. It is attached to the main line under the basement floor that goes out to the sewer. The basement does have a funny smell, but it is not overwhelming at the moment.
What do I do about this pipe?

About the house, it was built in 1930. The pipe in question is cast iron and looks like it was cut. The previous owners moved the sink when they remodeled and it looks like they just cut the old cast iron pipe from the old sink. I can only assume it was the drain for said sink. The previous owner also did all of his own work from the looks of it, and did not do a good job.

The pictures in order are the old sink, the pipe and the pipe in relation to other fixtures.
old sink.jpg open pipe.jpg open pipe 2.jpg

2. My water pressure is 100 psi. This was tested in the evening when all of my neighbors were home. There is a pressure regulator at the meter in the house, but it looks like it is really old.

I'm currently replacing some of the copper with PEX and installing a new water heater. Checking the water pressure was so I could figure out what size expansion tank to get for the water heater.
water pressue.jpg pressure regulator.jpg

I've tried getting plumbers out to look at them, but have had 4 no-call no-shows.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. I am thinking a flex cap or "test plug".
black-fernco-pvc-fittings-pqc-102-64_100.jpg
black-oatey-sink-hole-covers-33402-64_100.jpg

2. That old WATTS PRV looks like it is ready to be replaced. If that were 3/4, you could add a Sharkbite slip PRV in series with the old PRV as a temporary action, until you could get it done pretty.
sharkbite-water-pressure-regulators-24429-0045-64_100.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Definately plug the open drain and vent pipes. They're allowing sewer gases into your home.

The Pressure Reducing Valve PRV can easily be replaced or potentially serviced. It might even be working but out of adjustment.

These are not the instructions for that particular model.. but they're mostly the same and will be mostly relevant.
http://media.wattswater.com/1910259.pdf

Mel_n_Chibi

Reaction score
Many thanks!! I'll probably get the sharkbite as a stop gap so I can get a properly sized expansion tank.

According to my internet searches, I need a 3.2 gallon expansion tank for an 80 gallon water heater at 50-60 psi. Does that sound correct?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks