Open discharge freeze protection selinoid and drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockwind1

Reaction score
Well as you can see from a picture, i have come up with a idea to automatically fill up this tank via the existing riser. I have a jet pump 300 feet away from this tank that fills it up from an open discharge at the top. It’s a metal tank and there’s really no way to run a wire down to the jet pump to turn it on and off so I am essentially it seems like the best way to Automatically shut the water off to the tank after it’s for is to maybe use a float switch and then put a selinoid valve down in the ground. The reason I wanna do this is because I do live in some freezing temps during the winter time. But I need to get the water out of the riser after the solenoid closes, and I thought Of two things., I would put about a 1/16 inch drain Hole that could be operated by another solenoid valve Which opens when unpowered, whereas the riser solenoid valve would be closed when Un powered. That way they can both work off the same float switch. The other thought I had was to just leave a drain hole there so it will just simply weep as the pump is running and filling up the tank but I could run it into a half-inch poly hose and run it downhill to some trees that could be watered

my only other idea is to use a long vertical throw jobe type mechanical float valve but the pipe running from the ground over to it would be exposed to the freezing temps in the winter

Attachments

• drain solenoid.jpg
    drain solenoid.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Not sure if you want this to work all year or only during cold spells. However, If your in the LA it would be rare if you have to worry about freezing. A google search on "Is San Bernardino cold in the winter".
In December, the coldest month of the year, the weather in San Bernardino is usually mild. The average temperature is of 12.5 °C (54 °F), with a minimum of 6 °C (42.7 °F) and a maximum of 19 °C (66.2 °F). On the coldest nights of the month, the temperature usually drops to around 0 °C (31.5 °F).

Another alternative;
Generally how long does the pump run to fill this tank and approximately how many cycles per hour or day does the pump run?

If the pump run time is not too long where there could be too much wasted water in dry California, I would drill a small hole in the riser pipe about a foot from the ground. Every time the pump runs a small amount of water will spray out but when the pump stops, the riser pipe will drain each time. It is imperative that the rinser pipe never is submerged in water inside the tank, otherwise it will siphon water out of the tank. If this is for irrigation only the drained water can be piped to irrigate plants if needed.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The two solenoid thing will work. I use a similar setup on a test pit. Just use a relay with a normally open and a normally closed contact and attach the float switch to the coil. That way when one solenoid opens the other closes and vise versa.

Rockwind1

Reaction score
The two solenoid thing will work. I use a similar setup on a test pit. Just use a relay with a normally open and a normally closed contact and attach the float switch to the coil. That way when one solenoid opens the other closes and vise versa.
What do you mean by coil?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The "coil" is what is energized by the float switch to switch the relay on or off. The relay will be like the one in the following drawing except that it will need a Normally Open and Normally closed contact to run the solenoids.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Rockwind1

Reaction score
right,, sorry, thought i had posted i found one,,, do you know a better place to buy one or electric solenoid valves for culinary water use?

Rockwind1

Reaction score
Looks like a good relay. I don't know about "culinary water use" but a regular Irritrol sprinkler valve is what I use.
I’ve seen a couple electric solenoid valves online that are more industrial related and they were not recommended for water usage, just like gas or other chemicals

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks