Oop's I hit a pipe with an auger bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
Well i hit a pipe underneath a floor joist with a bit today. It occured in the worst possible place, right before a long sweep 90. The bit only went in an 1/8 of an inch on ABS 2 inch pipe.

Due to the nature of ABS, Can i just smear a glob of glue onto it and it will all be taken care of. just wondering what you guys in the real world do.

Thanks

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Better to replace the joint now while you have everything open rather than worry about if your "patch job" will stand the test of time. If you don't like the idea of using couplings, you can get away with using two 45s and a short lenth of pipe to replace the sanitary 90s if you measure creatively.

jaivyjay

Reaction score
1.jpg

2.gif

you can do it man

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
repair

Get a "repair coupling" with the center ridge. Cut it lengthwise off center so you have one piece that is slightly "C" shaped. Spread glue on it and also at the hole. Then "snap" the partial coupling over the hole. It will be as good as new. If you cannot find a repair coupling buy a regular one and then remove the ridge after slicing it in two.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would do as HJ suggested! It works!

Cut it as shown below...

pvcslipcoupling.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
Thanks for the cool pic. I will definitly install the repair coupling tommorow.
I really admire your guys line of work and am saddened my plumbing project is coming to an end.

Thanks again.

Prashster

Reaction score
Man, Another non-plumber who is fascinated by plumbing! I thought I was the only one.

I did the same thing through a pvc drain pipe.

Because the pipe's not under pressure, you might be able (like I was) to get away with epoxying the hole. Mine hole was only 1/8", though. How big was yr auger bit? Bigger than 1/2"? If yes then I'd not trust the epoxy. However, you might try it as a quick 1st fix and just monitor it to make sure it's still holding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks