Only Pressure Tank after Backwashing Filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a well a well with a submersible pump. The well produces a black material that clogs a small mechanical filter fairly quickly. He is planning to put in a backwashing filter, and asks this:

>Should I put the pressure tank before or after the iron filter? If I put
>it before, then it will help back wash the filter, If I put it after
>then it won't get clogged up with manganese sludge. If I put it after, a
>check valve could be used during back washing. I think after with a
>check valve would be better.

I said to put the pressure tank and pressure switch together and before the new filter. I wrote that the concern was that the filter could clog, and the submersible pump could deadhead. I am now wondering my concern was overdone, and that the backwashing filter before the pressure tank and pressure switch might be OK. Thoughts?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Best practice is not to put any filter that has the potential to clog before the switch/tank. A PRV before the filter should popoff and prevent deadheading.

I assume the black stuff is manganese and it usually gets removed by aeration. In my case, my micronizer is before the precipitation tank that is essentially a hydro-pneumatic pressure tank. The tank is designed to deal with the buildup and has a blowdown port. It does require periodic removal and thorough cleaning so I unions on both sides of it. The line between the tank and the filter also needs to be rodded out periodically.

That is the nature of the beast... these are high maintenance items. If you want low maintenance, I think you need to move to the city.

Doug the pump man

Reaction score
The pressure tank should ALWAYS be ahead of any filtration. The potential for dead heading,as well as proper back washing are the main reasons. The filter cannot backwash if it is ahead of the pressure tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks