Only hot water is hard

Users who are viewing this thread

Brooke

Reaction score
I have the super expensive Rainsoft water conditioning system, filtered water and softener. My cold water is soft but my hot water is not. The technician said it is because the Anode rod in my water heater basically contradicts the softener system. Is this true? Is there an anode rod that I can use with my water system? why have a softener if I can't enjoy it?! Everytime I shower, I feel like I just got out of a chlorine pool. My skin is tight and my hair is hard to comb through. I just want what I paid for. Can I get a different anode rod or should I just remove it altogether? Or would you know that that is not the reason for my problem? What else could it be? Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Grain of truth but mostly not true. You could replace the anode with a powered anode, but I really don't think that is the problem. More likely would be the hardness deposits accumulated in the WH and pipes were getting dissolved.

I infer that it has been more than a few days since your softener was installed. Initially the WH would have been full of hard water to begin with. But that should have been washed away.

Get a Hach 5B softness testing kit. Lets find out how the hardness of your hot compares to that of the incoming untreated water.
It is also possible that the softener was installed in the piping after the hot water heater input water was already split off.

Brooke

Reaction score
Grain of truth but mostly not true. You could replace the anode with a powered anode, but I really don't think that is the problem. More likely would be the hardness deposits accumulated in the WH and pipes were getting dissolved.

I infer that it has been more than a few days since your softener was installed. Initially the WH would have been full of hard water to begin with. But that should have been washed away.

Get a Hach 5B softness testing kit. Lets find out how the hardness of your hot compares to that of the incoming untreated water.
It is also possible that the softener was installed in the piping after the hot water heater input water was already split off.

Thanks for replying! What is WH? Also, all the plumbing was new PVC piping. Lived there for about 16 months when I got the system installed. It's been 2 years now that I've had the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks