Only hot and cold in bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Maulydaft

Reaction score
Thoughts on this:

Condo is 5 years old. For a few months we've only been getting hot and cold from bathroom sink. Had a plumber come in for our shower issue and mentioned the sink. He said "I could replace the cartridge in that sink but I don't think it will help..." and then proceeded to tell me why but since I understand little of plumbing I didn't retain it.

I have now learned how to replace my shower cartridge... should I bother with the sink? Aren't these cartridges supposed to last 10-20 years? What's going on? (Our shower cartridge was replaced in 2020 - only 3 years old)

Thanks!

Neil Binda

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes when you live in a condo the risers causes problems . You should look into that plus who makes the product .

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Without knowing why you get one or the other (I suspect it would be a pressure differential problem) it's hard to say if changing the cartridge would help.

Maulydaft

Reaction score
Sometimes when you live in a condo the risers causes problems . You should look into that plus who makes the product .
I don't even know what a riser is - hahaha! Sounds like something the management should be looking into? I'm assuming it's American Standard who made the sink fixtures as that's who made our shower fixtures and original toilet.

Maulydaft

Reaction score
I'm also curious as to why this would be a problem only in bath sink and not shower or kitchen sink...

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should shut the stops under the sink and get a gauge. Check the pressure on the hot and cold lines individually. If they are reasonably close to one another there's no reason a new cartridge shouldn't work. Unless there's another problem with the handle or something.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
maulydaft sounds like maybe you've got a cross over problem. the cold should be cold hot should be hot.
Your in a foreign country and I don't know how a condo is plumbed there. it could be that your hot and cold water systems are not independent of the neighbors So it could be from a valve in neighbors unit. does each condo have their own independent hot water heater or its just plumbed like an apartment

Maulydaft

Reaction score
maulydaft sounds like maybe you've got a cross over problem. the cold should be cold hot should be hot.
Your in a foreign country and I don't know how a condo is plumbed there. it could be that your hot and cold water systems are not independent of the neighbors So it could be from a valve in neighbors unit. does each condo have their own independent hot water heater or its just plumbed like an apartment
Hi there - well not that foreign - hahaha. Canadian plumbing is just like American. Thing is the water didn't change sides or anything. There's just no warm anymore. Just hot and cold. Yes, no individual water heater it's all in basement like apartment building.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks