Only a thermostat issue? or more serious?

Users who are viewing this thread

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
My best to all.
I have an almost 40 year old townhouse and I installed a programmable thermostat in it about 30 years ago. No problems with the thermostat until very recently.

It has developed some issue that prevents me from changing the program and for awhile now (weeks) it runs the A/C for a couple of hours at a time (maybe a bit longer) which cools the house Way Way down to where I have to wear a jacket. A big problem is that the family room, where the thermostat is, was converted to a bedroom for my stepdaughter and (war between us) means that I'm not allowed to go into that room. It stays locked and she's frequently not here but for two or three days a week. I've bought a wifi thermostat to replace it but that hasn't happened yet.

The biggest current problem is that when I went to change the filter, it was Totally soaked and shredded into small pieces as I tried to remove it.

My gut says that this major condensation problem is solely due to the malfunctioning of the thermostat and it's unlikely that any real damage has been done to the hvac system However, I'm not willing to bet on that.

What say you guys?

Also, since I can't, at this time, get into the room to replace the old thermostat, (there'll be a war between myself and my wife when she gets back into town) do hvac companies do any installs of wifi thermostats? If so, what would be a rough estimate to pay to get one of them to do the install? This is a simple Honeywell wifi thermostat.

All comments will be appreciated.

Thanks to you guys who help out the ignorant.

Regards,

Andy

Fitter30

Reaction score
30 year old stat replace it. Wifi stat check with your electric company and for rebates on equipment. If a contractor can't install a wifi stat just hang up try another. 30-40 year old equipment replace it yesterday. Both heating and cooling equipment isn't saving you any money its costing you. Evaporator coil above furnace condensate pan is gone and leaking.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
My best to all.
......The biggest current problem is that when I went to change the filter, it was Totally soaked and shredded into small pieces as I tried to remove it.

My gut says that this major condensation problem is solely due to the malfunctioning of the thermostat and it's unlikely that any real damage has been done to the hvac system However, I'm not willing to bet on that...... Andy

Your filter was soaking wet because the condensate drain is plugged up. The drip tray overflows and right below it is the filter. A/C takes yearly maintenance and the condensate line should be flushed out at least once a year. If there is no Safe-T-Switch float switch, then have one installed. A bad thermostat has nothing to do with it. https://rectorseal.com/safe-t-switch-legacy-group/

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
missed that you had a totally separate problem unrelated to thermostat.
plugged condensate about 90 percent of time is the second problem

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks