One side double sink clog

Users who are viewing this thread

Pioneer

Reaction score
When I use my garbage disposal in the double kitchen sink, the other side of the sink begins to fill up with water and crud. Whats going on there?

Pioneer

Reaction score
I will add that this has happened pretty much since I replaced and old worn out Kitchen Aid disposal with a Badger 100--same size, though, I didn't get the bigger one. Don't know if its related or not...

Reach4

Reaction score
It could be a clog after the p-trap output goes into the wall. If you have a white plastic p-trap, you can backlight that with a bright flashlight and see what the level of the water is in the output side of the p-trap.

Post a picture of what you have under the sink to see if somebody gets clues from that.

Asktom

Reaction score
The drain is clogged somewhere after the two sides of the sink hook together. The disposal is acting like a pump and pushing the water to the other side.

Pioneer

Reaction score
Thanks. So what are my options here? Take off p-trap and check? Plunge?

Pioneer

Reaction score
P_20170710_155834_HDR.jpg P_20170710_155911_HDR.jpg
Here are photos, the left side (opposite of the disposal) is the clogging one.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is a small thing, but I would throw a level on/under the two horizontal pieces feeding into the tee. If there is a tilt other than slightly downward with the flow on each side, make some adjustments. If you don't know how to adjust, let us know.

It looks like you will be able to put a flashlight behind the output of the P-trap to check the level under problem conditions.

Pioneer

Reaction score
It is a small thing, but I would throw a level on/under the two horizontal pieces feeding into the tee. If there is a tilt other than slightly downward with the flow on each side, make some adjustments. If you don't know how to adjust, let us know.

It looks like you will be able to put a flashlight behind the output of the P-trap to check the level under problem conditions.

Thanks. I do not know how to adjust. Also, now that you're mentioning all this, I do remember wiggling that entire set up a bit putting in the Badger. Sounds like I might've wiggled it out of wack. Do I want to make sure the two horizontal pipes are both leaning toward the drain out?

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. What is the slant now? You might just adjust the bottom of the tee lower. If it is already as far into the widened portion at the input to the P-trap as it can go, you can remove the tee, and cut maybe an inch off of the bottom. You will then have adjustablity.

That tee should have a baffle to keep water from shooting right across. I don't know if some don't have the baffle, or if all do.

Do see if the P-trap output arm is full. If it is, you have a blockage downstream.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks