One right way to run electrical

Users who are viewing this thread

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Ok, I am not an electrician, but am comfortable working with electrical. Here is the scenerio. I have a shop/garage that has an outside outlet on it already. About 30 feet away, I have a chicken coop. I would like to run power out there for multiple uses. What I am thinking is to get one of those boxes that has the top and bottom missing in weatherproof and piggy back it to the existing box on the wall. From there I can run schedule 80 out to the box at the coop. I can install it with a bubble cover assy and GFCI. I figured thwn 12 gauge wire.
Does this seem correct? Ideas, comments? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your conduit needs to be at least 18" down. Dig your trench 20" deep, as the measurement is to the top of the conduit, not the bottom of the trench.

Put the GFI as close to the circuit breaker as possible. At least have this first outside outlet that you mention be a gfi, and have a conventional outlet at the coup being protected by that gfi.

Do you understand the concept of line and load as applied to a gfi receptacle?

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. Thanks for the info about the depth. I should go and buy a copy of the NEC. I do know that there are two sets of connections to the GFCI. One is for source and the other is for load (branch continuation). They do make a piggyback box in weatherproof right?

BTW, Can you run water and electrical conduits in the same trench?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. Thanks for the info about the depth. I should go and buy a copy of the NEC. I do know that there are two sets of connections to the GFCI. One is for source and the other is for load (branch continuation). They do make a piggyback box in weatherproof right?

BTW, Can you run water and electrical conduits in the same trench?

Good god, I would not. Are you getting an inspection? If not, and you insist on only one trench, go 26" deep and put the water 6-8" below the electrical.

But I would not do it, and I'd be astonished if an inspector did not flag it.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
one ditch for both water and electrical. Think about electrical in a ditch all by itself and rain, what is the difference?

I have installed electrical, water, gas, and cable all in the same 4 inch ditch more times than most can count

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks