One or three boilers for a multi unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

mmcdade

Reaction score
I have a 3 unit I live in located in Portland, Maine. I pay for the heat for the whole building since there is only 2 furnances.One furnace is a old steam unit that is about 50 yrs old that heats the 1st floor unit I live in. The other furnace heat is hot water baseboard (about 30 yrs old). It heats the 2nd & 3rd floor unit. So I have to pay for both the units heat since there utilities are not separated. The heating bills are killing me. I have replaced most windows in this 100 year old house, and will replace the remaining one this summer. I'm trying to decide if I should spend the money and purchase a boiler for each unit so they would pay for there own heat & hot water. Or should I buy one furnace that would take care of the entire building? I plan on staying here for a long time, so my gut feeling is to get a separate boiler for each unit. I have quotes being given to me for combi units for each apartment. For the 2nd and 3rd floor units, one contractor suggests a baxi HT 330, the other a biasi riva combi with has a 15 gallon integrated indirect water tank. I think these are both condensing boilers; both are for heat & hot water. Each unit is about 1600 sq ft with one bath. For the 1st floor unit, which I live in, I want to continue to use the nice cast iron radiators. One contractor thinks I can change them over for hot water use with a Prestige Solo condensing boiler with an indirect fired SMART Phase III water heater. My unit is about 1600 sq feet a well.
After look through the site here, it looks like many in the Northeast are recommending the Buderus boiler with a mega Store indirect water heater. It seems they have a branch in NH. jadnashua , the moderator seems to have gone this way. Any advice for other solutions for me to look at would be appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks