one more well question

Users who are viewing this thread

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
I just reduced the operating pressure of my well from 40/60 to 30/50 which seems to be the recommended setting for my 1/2hp 10GPH red jacket pump. The bladder tank is a 32gal Champion. In the process of making this change I drained down the tank, after switching off the well, and set the air-charge at 28psi which "was" at 15psi

Questions: the pressure will now drop down to around 33-34psi then abruptly drop to 20 before turning on the pump. What causes this? Before it would drop steadily to 40 then turn on. Also, when my irrigation system is running the pump runs constantly to keep up. This cannot be good since the sprinklers are on for an hour. I don't remember it running constantly with the pressure setting at 40/60. What are the consequences of running this system at 40/60? My feeling is that I need a 3/4hp pump but the cost makes it out of the question.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your tire pressure gauge and the gauge on your tank are probably reading about 5 PSI different. If the pressure falls from 33 PSI, then you really have 33 PSI air in the tank. Let a little out.

It is a must that the pump run continuously when irrigating. Pumps are made for continuous use. They had rather run 24/7 than cycle on and off. I would think it would be more likely to cycle at 30/50 than at 40/60. And 40/60 won't hurt anything as long as the pump can build 60 and shut off when no water is being used.

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
Your tire pressure gauge and the gauge on your tank are probably reading about 5 PSI different. If the pressure falls from 33 PSI, then you really have 33 PSI air in the tank. Let a little out.

It is a must that the pump run continuously when irrigating. Pumps are made for continuous use. They had rather run 24/7 than cycle on and off. I would think it would be more likely to cycle at 30/50 than at 40/60. And 40/60 won't hurt anything as long as the pump can build 60 and shut off when no water is being used.

Thanks for the quick reply. Since the tank seems to be set at 33psi I'll reset the pressures to 35/55 and split the difference. I didn't know that the pump could run continuously. I thought it would shorten it's life. Thanks for the education.
brian in mich.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks