Once the main vent stack enters up through the attic floor, does it have to go straight up through the roof?

Users who are viewing this thread

DragonBallz

Reaction score
Located in MA.

Once the main vent stack enters up through the attic floor, does it have to go straight up through the roof? Or can it (theoretically) go to the other side of the house, then through the roof?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can go wherever you want once it's 6" above the highest fixture's flood rim. There are some length restrictions but you'd have to be going a very long way, and even then you'd just have to upsize the pipe.

Your good

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I was stationed in New Port RI for a year and the winters in your neck of the woods are brutal

I would make sure the VTR is 4" no matter what the code says as 4" will prevent Hoarfrost and if your near trees or critters like squirrels then consider a vandal proof vent cover that allows air out no down drafts or stops debris from entering the vent

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks