On an outside wall my house has this fixture. It has been paint shut. Is this to connect a hose?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by George Puig, Oct 12, 2021.

1. George Puig

George Puig New Member

2. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

I think its more of a drain usage than a hose bib. Never heard the name capped elbow with a hose thread Is it buried in block construction ? if it needs replacing it could be challenging. Age etc might determine whether you want to mess with it. could even be abandoned if house was repiped?
    Haven't plumbed in your area but lived down there in the 70s and there was mostly galvanized plumbing then ...

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
  5. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    I've only ever seen capped elbows used on conduit instead of an LB where explosion proof is required. An LB is easier to pull wire through.

Sylvan likes this.
  7. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Some areas of Florida require the Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve of the water heater must be piped to the outdoors, especially if the WH is inside the living space but I've seen it with garage installed WH's. Maybe the plumber at the time needed a galvanized elbow and it was in his tool bag. PVC pipe probably wasn't readily available when the home was built as Jeff suggests.

Jeff H Young likes this.
  8. Jeff H Young

capped elbow doesn't suggest it be a valve so it could be a 90 on the t and p and the cap is like a cleanout? If it was a T and p drain it would be totally illegal in my code as a threaded end is never allowed In UPC , the end must be left plain non threaded . Subtle differences from region to region never seen one on a house or in use in my Career so I'm a bit stumped. I'm really leaning toward the possibility of it being the T and P

9. JerryR

JerryR Active Member

My guess is it’s an elbow where electric wires run through a 90

Grab the cap with a Chanel lock pliers and undo it.

10. George Puig

George Puig New Member

Jeff, thank you for your comments. It is imbedded in a concrete wall. Most likely it was abandoned since all pipes were upgraded in the 90’s. Much appreciated!

11. Jeff H Young

is a water heater on other side of wall ? I'm pretty sure that cap is not a valve handle at all