On an outside wall my house has this fixture. It has been paint shut. Is this to connect a hose?

Users who are viewing this thread

George Puig

Reaction score
upload_2021-10-12_17-46-43.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think its more of a drain usage than a hose bib. Never heard the name capped elbow with a hose thread Is it buried in block construction ? if it needs replacing it could be challenging. Age etc might determine whether you want to mess with it. could even be abandoned if house was repiped?
Haven't plumbed in your area but lived down there in the 70s and there was mostly galvanized plumbing then ...

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I've only ever seen capped elbows used on conduit instead of an LB where explosion proof is required. An LB is easier to pull wire through.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Some areas of Florida require the Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve of the water heater must be piped to the outdoors, especially if the WH is inside the living space but I've seen it with garage installed WH's. Maybe the plumber at the time needed a galvanized elbow and it was in his tool bag. PVC pipe probably wasn't readily available when the home was built as Jeff suggests.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
capped elbow doesn't suggest it be a valve so it could be a 90 on the t and p and the cap is like a cleanout? If it was a T and p drain it would be totally illegal in my code as a threaded end is never allowed In UPC , the end must be left plain non threaded . Subtle differences from region to region never seen one on a house or in use in my Career so I'm a bit stumped. I'm really leaning toward the possibility of it being the T and P

JerryR

Reaction score
My guess is it’s an elbow where electric wires run through a 90

Grab the cap with a Chanel lock pliers and undo it.

George Puig

Reaction score
I think its more of a drain usage than a hose bib. Never heard the name capped elbow with a hose thread Is it buried in block construction ? if it needs replacing it could be challenging. Age etc might determine whether you want to mess with it. could even be abandoned if house was repiped?
Haven't plumbed in your area but lived down there in the 70s and there was mostly galvanized plumbing then ...

Jeff, thank you for your comments. It is imbedded in a concrete wall. Most likely it was abandoned since all pipes were upgraded in the 90’s. Much appreciated!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jeff, thank you for your comments. It is imbedded in a concrete wall. Most likely it was abandoned since all pipes were upgraded in the 90’s. Much appreciated!
is a water heater on other side of wall ? I'm pretty sure that cap is not a valve handle at all

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks