Older TOTO not flushing well-- require at least two flushes

Users who are viewing this thread

PeterB

Reaction score
I have one of the earlier one piece Toto toilets in California (given to me by a sales rep of Toto) to sample their line. It worked great until we replaced the flooring in the bathroom (vinyl to laminate). The toilet sat disconnected for about a week. Ever since re-installing the toilet it clogs all the time requiring frequent plunging. We've been doing two flushes if there is any toilet paper used to avoid a clog for about 8 years. Any suggestions as to the cause. BTW, even the second Toto we have (newer) tends to clog a bit (and now I need to replace the valve stem-- thanks for the video on this site). These are the 1.6 GPF variety (don't know the model #'s) but both are one piece. Any suggestions??

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
It seems to me that the change would either involve the flush valve delivering less water now, or there being a partial blockage in the path out.

Try holding the flush lever down during the flush to extend the time before the flapper closes. If that helps significantly, that could help you choose your next step.

Not a pro.

PeterB

Reaction score
We do hold it down already a bit; it just seems that there is not enough "push" and the water level seems low in the bowl. I've tried adjusting it but to no avail. Odd, huh?

Reach4

Reaction score
Regarding water level in the bowl, note/mark the water level after the water flow stops. Then slowly add maybe a quart of water to the bowl. The level in the bowl should not change much, if any. If it does go up appreciably, then a change to your fill valve in order.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cst854_inside_tank_new.jpg

Make sure the black refill tube is pointed down the overflow tube. This refills the bowl. If the bowl is not full, it won't flush.

You also don't know if the floor installer knows how to install toilets. That fact that it's now pluging is a worry.
Sometimes the wax is blocking, or sometimes the installer will flush paper down that should have gone in the trash.
One time I went and pulled a bowl, and found broken bits of tile in the toilet drain. It looked like sabatage to me.
Concrete and floor tile do not belong in a drain.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Clue: with a gravity toilet, there is no push. It's a pull, which happens when the bowl fills up enough to create a siphon. Accordingly, you most likely have a clog, either in date closet flange or within the toilet itself. Possibly construction debris. Also, as Terry mentions, if the bowl doesn't start full enough, because the refill tube is not connected to the overflow riser, and the bowl doesn't refill, that will also create issues. Check that first, then call back the guy who installed it and have him pull the toilet and check for blockages.

TomBuildsStuff

Reaction score
Website
tombuildsstuff.blogspot.com
This might be a long shot but one more idea might not hurt if you can't find an obstruction in the drain or a problem with the toilet's valves.

They manufacture toilets with glazed trapways because reducing the resistance in the trapway is very important for getting these toilets to work effectively with less water.

Over time mineral deposits (or bacteria) can build up along the walls of the trapway providing more friction. Especially if it's not used frequently. Having it sit for a week disconnected could have made things a little worse since there was likely some water still in the p trap. Hard area to see or clean but I think they make cleaners specifically for this purpose or just Lime-A-Way or CLR might help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks